Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does America use 60 Hz and the rest of the world 50 Hz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptonite

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WHY 50/60 Hz????????

Hello,

i have 2 questions that may hit anyone's mind working in the field,

1- Why Northa America uses 60 Hz as operating frequency in power systems & electric machines & residental appliances while the rest of the world uses 50 Hz??

2- Consider the well known 50 or 60 Hz to be the same,, Why not using 100, 150 or 200 for that matter?????

Your answers r highly appreciated

Best Regards & Thx........

Re: WHY 50/60 Hz????????

I can't answer the 50/60Hz point, but using AC becomes a problem over very long distances because of reactances. Capacitance in AC power lines limits the distance over which power can be carried. You may be surprised to know that for very long distances DC is preferred (and actually implemented in various part of the world like Canada)! The advances in electronic inverters makes this very easy these days. Raising the frequency above 60Hz will make the reactance problem much worse.

Nikola Tesla calculated that frequency,but why 50-60 Hz?
for higher frequencies the inductance (2ΠfL) will increase dramatically,increasing the impedance which leads to power line loss.
Freqquency also effects machines & generators at thier speeds voltages.
50 to 60 Hz is the effictive range.
TeE ThE EdE.

Added after 4 minutes:

1- Why Northa America uses 60 Hz as operating frequency in power systems & electric machines & residental appliances while the rest of the world uses 50 Hz??
I think this is an industrial policy.
TeE ThE EdE.

It is interesting to note that the wavelength of a 60Hz wave is 5000 km which is roughly 3000 miles and this is approximately the the distance coast to coast (Atlantic to Pacific) of the United States.

Bulk DC power transmission will be one of the topics for the next international conference of AC & DC power transmission.

**broken link removed**

i suspect the frequency has something to do with the way of the generator working. also, 60/50 look pretty arbitrary, actually in Japan there are both 60/50 systems/areas

Kryptonite said:
Hello,

i have 2 questions that may hit anyone's mind working in the field,

2- Consider the well known 50 or 60 Hz to be the same,, Why not using 100, 150 or 200 for that matter?????

Your answers r highly appreciated

Best Regards & Thx........

i think its 60Hz for reasons of calculation

60 X 6 = 360 so its easy to do phase calculations in base 10 using 60 hz fundimental

look here for many different grids

https://www.worldgrid.net/

a good software for research into grid systems

you see its quite simple

the TV

tv runs at 60hz needs 60 frames per second
so the picture isnt dull if you use fast switching lights

eyes run at 25 - 30Hz frame rate

who knows???

i think its all a matter of exactly what voltage you transport

forinstance in 60Hz zone
you usualy find main distribution pilons is 1 million volts
for 50hz this is a lower voltage around 750,000

as the wire is a certain thickness and purity
its all calculated for max transfer of energy and less heat etc etc

just differtent approch... i beleve in japan there is a 110 100hz supply for goverment purposes

maybe metric and imperial systems ... as
1" = 1 second of arc = 1 second of time in imperial systems
not the same in cm's

I don't know the reason about why 50 or 60, but take care of the 50/60Hz switch on the table clocks. They usually takes the zero crossing of the line signal to move its internal counter and keep the pace, so, if you feed with 60Hz a clock inteded for 50Hz, it will not blow off but will be out of time (advanced)...

Kryptonite,
In the interest of further muddying the water, the standard frequency for aircraft power is 400 Hz. The higher frequency is preferable because it allows less iron to be used in magnetic components, thus reducing weight.
Regards,
Kral

WHY 50/60 Hz????????

One more interesting note:
TV's used 60Hz refresh rate because of the lack of good filters and shielding back 60 years ago. If locked to the power line freq., the effect of the hum is stationary and less noticable.

When color came out, the refresh rate, now being related to the color carrier is actually 59.9999, which is why, when you lose a power supply filter now the "hum bar" in the picture moves up the screen slowly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PAL standard is locked to 50Hz for Europe.

WHY 50/60 Hz????????

Generally, Transformers of 60Hz are smaller in size with respect to those of 50Hz, when they have the same capacity; On the other hand, current in the 50Hz system has less reactance than that in the 60Hz system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back