Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a DMA and how to design a DMA controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billjoe

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[HELP] What is DMA ?

I am a new guy for logic design
I start to design a DMA controller
may I ask
The principle of DMA?
How to design a DMA controller?

[HELP] What is DMA ?

DMA is direct memory access
its intent is to reduce the cpu interference to data transfer. you can download some information documents and code file about it at opencore

Re: [HELP] What is DMA ?

DMA operation:
--------1.CPU tells DMA controller: Read/Write,Device address,Starting address of memory block for data,Amount of data to be transferred
--------2.CPU carries on with other work
--------3.DMA controller deals with transfer and takes over bus for a cycle
--------4.DMA controller sends interrupt when finished

Re: [HELP] What is DMA ?

DMA helps in directly accessing memory without burdening the processor. DMA will take care of all read/write transfers to/from memory.

The communication between processor and DMA can be based on any protocol like request-grant technique. DMA controllers usually have multiple output banks/ports which support many no of memory. if u r new to DMA the data sheet of INTEL 8237 DMA controller shall be a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back