Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better for DSP issues: FPGA or DSP devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odesus

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Comunity:

I'd appreciate any suggestion about which could be better way for create applications of DSP. I've worked with FPGA and DSP of Motorola and TI, but I'm actually in a crossroad, 'cos FPGA is versatile in relation of its flexibility of construction architecture, but DSP dedicated devices are fast and many times Cell phones and palms, etc, etc., have DSP of TI and Motorola.

It's actually somehow rare to see a FPGA controls devices produced in industrial way, I mean in a massive production. But VHDL and Verilog are easy to learn an implement that C/C++.

Please any suggestion will be well received. Many thanks.

That topic has been discussed here several times. Try a search for the words DSP and FPGA.

Unless you have a small application, FPGAs are cheaper and enormously faster than DSPs. However, it's a steep learning curve to re-educate a DSP programmer (C and assembler) to FPGA (digital design in HDL). It's easier to write complex algorithms in DSP+C, but they sure go a lot faster if you can redesign them into FPGA+HDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back