Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mosquito repeller demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

denian

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ultrasound mosquito reppeller circuit

have done a circuit on mosquito repeller, but have no idea how to demo it to show that it is workable. since it generates >20kHz frequency, our human ears will not be able to hear the ultrasonic sound.

any advice?

Use an oscilloscope to see the signal instead of trying to hear it. If you insist on hearing it, a NE602 integrated circuit mixing ~15KHz should yield an audible range tone.
Miguel

To measure efficiency of (ultrasound) transducers you have to measure their output levels, not signals which are fed to them ..
In your case, you should use so called "bat ear microphone" which is basically an ultrasound receiver ( https://www.amazing1.com/accoustics.htm ) ..
Of course, it is not easy to gain access to one of those ..

But, don't worry; catch your neighbours's cat (for sure it shits in your garden, so your revenge will be even sweeter) and watch how it behaves while exposed to your device -->>>???!!!

Regards,
IanP

Re: ultrasound mosquito reppeller circuit

have done a circuit on mosquito repeller, but have no idea how to demo it to show that it is workable. since it generates >20kHz frequency, our human ears will not be able to hear the ultrasonic sound.

any advice?
Test it on yourself. :evil: Mosquitoes + you + repeller gadget = ? I think you will get bit because electronic repellers don't work even if you built it perfectly. :shock:

Besides chemical repellents, the only effective solution I've seen is the Mosquito Magnet. The smallest ones go for around $300 but they work. They're just not portable enough for a hiking trip. :sad:
How Mosquito Magnet® Traps Work, See it in Action | MosquitoMagnet.com

Last edited:

I hope you have noticed that you are answering to a 5 year old thread...

Alex

That's okay, this is one of those perpetually hoped for devices. I built one in 1979. It worked perfectly and was completely ineffective just like all the others marketed since.

Ultrasonic pest control devices have been around for 30 years or more. For nearly that whole time, scientists have been testing them to determine whether the claims made by the manufacturers and marketers are accurate. Fast forward 30 years to today. Scientists have still not been able to verify that these devices work as advertised. Yet the claims remain.

Reactions: xeracon

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

xeracon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
From
Insect repellent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are several, widespread, unproven theories about mosquito control, such as the assertion that vitamin B, in particular B1 (thiamine), garlic, ultrasonic devices or incense can be used to repel or control mosquitoes.[52][48] Moreover, some manufacturers of "mosquito repelling" ultrasonic devices have been found to be fraudulent,[53] and their devices were deemed "useless" in tests by the UK Consumer magazine Which?,[54] and according to a review of scientific studies.[55]

Ultrasonic Mosquito Repellent? - Yahoo! Answers

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
So one summer, I bought myself an ultrasonic mosquito repeller. The package claimed this tiny, battery-powered device was “safe and effective,” and I figured it was worth finding out if I could get relief without all the chemicals. When I took the device out of its package, the first thing I noticed was that it had not only an on-off switch but a frequency dial. I thought that was odd; wasn’t it supposed to be some very precise frequency that drove mosquitoes away? But perhaps I was just not thinking about the device in a technologically sophisticated way.

I took the repeller outside, and went to an area that I knew to be popular with mosquitoes. I flipped the switch, and within a few seconds a mosquito approached me, hovering about a foot away. I slowly turned the dial from one frequency extreme to the other; the mosquito was unfazed. I thought it was perhaps a question of range, so I held the device as close as I could to the mosquito. Even an inch away, it had no effect. Finally the mosquito landed on the little black box in my hand and I decided the experiment had been definitively concluded.

Mosquito Repellents on MedicineNet.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back