Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programming the pic 16f877a

Status
Not open for further replies.

crocklip

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I wrote some code for the 16f877a and simulated the program with pic simulator ide which seemed to yield successful results. However when I programmed the chip with a datman 48uxp universal programmer and tested it I got no response at all. the chip was completely dead! I tried again with a spare chip, same model but got the same results. I am using a 2.4576MHz crystal and so set the programmer to xt osc. mode. I have had this same problem for 2weeks now and cant seem to find the problem. Any help from you guys would be great!
Thanks

Well.....with the given clues, no one can exactly answer you, try posting your schematic.

Good luck

a schematic would help but here's what I would do:
- verify that the chip programmed by reading it back.
- get an o'scpe and look at the osc pins (w/high impedence probe). is it oscillating?
- create a very simple program that toggles a single pin every second or so. look at that pin with a dvm (or an led).
- make sure that you've got power (+5V), ground and mclr pulled high (10K is good).
- also, make sure you've turned off the watchdog timer. I had a project that seemed dead but was constantly resetting because of the wdt.

thanks Philba, turns out I didnt pull the MCLR high. silly me! Now all I have to worry about is mistakes in the code!

Status
Not open for further replies.