Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between PIC16F877A and PIC16F877?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkee2003

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

i want to know what is the difference between PIC16F877A and PIC16F877 (or between 16F84A and 16F84)

regards

PIC differences

I hate to hijack this thread, on the same regard, what is the difference between P16 and P18 (generally speaking) Is only P18 optimized for programming with C18 compiler provided by Microchip?

I am asking this, because I know assembly only and I think learning C would be a good choice. and I am using 16 family only.

Re: PIC differences

Basically, the main difference from PIC16 to PIC18 series is the bits width of the core. PIC16 uses 14 bits core (which represents only 35 instructions) and PIC18 uses 16 bits core (more combinations of op codes for instructions = 75 instructions). Also PIC18 series have linear addressing (do not have the memory banks as PIC16). PIC18s have better performance and are faster (10MIPS againts 5MIPS of PIC16).

Re: PIC differences

Also P18 series have some extra instruction for C compilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.