Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powerline transformer to audio PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMX

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need for some measurements make 230V vith variable frequency of 50-60Hz. So, I connected audio PA with two TDA1514 in bridge and powerline transformer 230/12V connected in reverse order to amplifier output. But problem is that amplifier get quickly very hot even vithout load and worse when use bigger (some 30VA) transformer. How can I compensate this PA or what I need to do, so that PA don't heating so much. Can anyone help?

Your problem is that you have to low inductance in the 12V winding,it is almost like a short circuit to the TDA1514:s
Run TDA:s at as high voltage as possible ie. +-30V and use a 230/60V transformer and your inductance will be a lot higher.
230/12=19/1 voltage ratio=367/1 impedance ratio. Lets say primary inductance is 3H=1000ohm at 50Hz, 1000/367=2.7ohm in the 12V winding + the transformed load =HOT!!!
The 230/60V transformer will have about 68ohms, now you will not waste so much energi in the transformer it selves.

Re the inductance: as per definition the current and voltage in a "perfect" inductance is 90 degrees apart, so the real power (which is V*I*cos(phi) should in theory be zero.

I have another theory why your PA might get so hot; in case you have a bridge-coupled PA you may have an offset output voltage, which in that case sees only the very low-resistance of the copper winding itself. This may cause a DC current of an appreciable size.

Try to connect a large capacitor in series with the winding and you get rid of the DC-component mentioned. If using electrolytic capacitors you may connect them in series back-to-back (+ to + sides) and in so doing get the equivalent of a bipolar capacitor of half the capacitance (provided the two capacitors are equal otherwise). Or use a bipolar type, such that are intended for passive filters in loudspeakers. Be sure though to use a sufficiently large capacitance, otherwise you will get some voltage drop over it. And watch out for resonance phenomenons (perhaps you want it, perhaps not).

/Pim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back