Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metcal Soldering Station Power Supply Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

microjock

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
metcal repair

Does anybody have clues on the operation of these units. I have a failed PS-100 unit.

metcal schematic

Hi,

The clever thing about the design is the method of heating. The
"station" consist of high power rf generator enclosed in well shielded
case. The power is delivered to the tip via a coaxial cable. The tip
is so constructed that it absorbs the energy at the working end and
heats up until it reaches a curie point temperature at which it becomes
high impedance. This transition is very sharp, meaning that the tip is
always at the correct temperature

metcal soldering station

Hi

most times these psu is rudementary control of current using a pot and some sort of regulator

two things are to be looked at
the regulation stages

and the transformer

first we come to the transformer section
it will give 30 v dc and usualy is fused and also most
transformers are double insulated types so also have an intrinsic fuse
inside there windings on the primary windings

check this and move on

the rest is usualy just one adjustable regulator for 5 amps peek current

sometimes just a wirewound pot {pay for air with these wellers}

best soldering station

Ya, in my opinion the best soldering system on the market. That’s why I’m trying to fix this one. I’ve gained some headways since my first post. I looked up all the IC and simi’s I could find on the Internet and then started piecing them together. The main switching power supply IC was being “inhibited” by a 2n3904. There are four or five of these little devils sprinkled around the circuit and each one has the ability to shut down the main power supply circuit (switching IC). I assume this is to prevent damage in case of certain conditions which might occur. Basically it’s a RF transmitter at 13 Mhz powered by a switching power supply. I bought a STSS version in EBAY lately which is a little newer version of the PS100 and I’ve been using it to compare too. I want to fix the PS100 as a back up. Some of the circuitry is the same and some isn’t. Most of the components are in different places on the circuit board. While I can get it functioning, one of the little 2n3904’s is being controlled by something or some condition I can’t yet isolate. While it works, I would like to get it working like it was designed. There’s no information on the internet as far as a schematic or circuit layout that I’ve found after hours of exhaustive research. It’s kinda like a state secret when it comes to finding a schematic. Come on Metcal, these things are 15 years old. Give up the schematic.

Re: best soldering station

microjock said:
Basically it�s a RF transmitter at 13 Mhz powered by a switching power supply. I bought a STSS version in EBAY lately which is a little newer version of the PS100 and I�ve been using it to compare too. Come on Metcal, these things are 15 years old. Give up the schematic.

hello micro i repaired the metcal 500 and my friend has bits of scematic( we found out with lots of working with ohmeter)
showing the supply system and transistors u talking about
we can help u and in turn i need your help me with the stss schematics

Re: best soldering station

simsim50 said:
microjock said:
Basically it�s a RF transmitter at 13 Mhz powered by a switching power supply. I bought a STSS version in EBAY lately which is a little newer version of the PS100 and I�ve been using it to compare too. Come on Metcal, these things are 15 years old. Give up the schematic.

hello micro i repaired the metcal 500 and my friend has bits of scematic( we found out with lots of working with ohmeter)
showing the supply system and transistors u talking about
we can help u and in turn i need your help me with the stss schematics

I'd be interested in the MX500 schematic - I want to convert some MX500s to 230VAC from 110VAC and Metcal want to charge a fortune to do it - I suspect its fairly easy...

Cheers

I'd also be interested in any info on repairing MX500's. I just got a dead one off eBay, "as is" no returns. Seller claimed it "power up", but apparently to him that means no smoke. Neither of the two lights stay on for more than half a second, with or without a new iron plugged in.

A friend of mine said that he heard there is a capacitor that is a weak point in the design, but he didn't have any details.

I have some experince to repair MX500
Fault indication : Green light on but soldring Iron not heating.
It mainly blow it ZTX550 Transitor wich is heat sinked with a small
round heat sink filled with a small amount of heat sink compound.
Replaced it and Station working OK
:lol:

Hi. Sorry for my language. Metcal MX500.
I have a problem. When you turn on the station, the orange LED is ON.
Soldering iron is cold.
Grounding good.
Where to start?

Last edited:

What are typical fault in this model?
Where can I find a diagram?
Pleas help me....

Can anyone help me solve a problem with an MX500? About a year ago mine failed so I downloaded the schematics mentioned above and found that U4 had died, I replaced it and all was well until last week when the unit failed again. I found that R1 had smoked and Q1 had blown to pieces,so I replaced them, checked surrounding components and plugged the unit in. All looked well so I turned it on, the yellow LED came on for a few seconds and then R1 and Q1 died again. I am a bit flummoxed

Status
Not open for further replies.