Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's sort of circuit could smooth load current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittware

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts,
In my application, the load current varaies severely with time. What's sort of circuit could be added between the load and power supply in order to make smooth load current from the power supply point of view, i.e. the power supply keeps constant power output which equals to average value of load power consumption. Is there any stand-on-shelf product circuit to fulfill such task?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
bittware

In case of DC applications ,you can consider so called shunt regulator, which is in other words a parallel voltage regulator, or dummy (active) load, if you like ..
Have a look at an idea of a shut regulator ..
For an example of a dummy load goto: **broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

bittware, your question is unclear. Do you need a constant current regulator, or a constant power regulator? Those are two different things.

Off-the-shelf solutions may exist, but first tell us some numbers. How much voltage, current, power, or whatever do you need? Also explain what you mean by "average power".

you donot need a circuit between Power supply and load . You need a good designed power supply capable of drivinng load current fluctuation without changes of its voltage.

echo47 said:
bittware, your question is unclear. Do you need a constant current regulator, or a constant power regulator? Those are two different things.

Off-the-shelf solutions may exist, but first tell us some numbers. How much voltage, current, power, or whatever do you need? Also explain what you mean by "average power".
echo47, I need a regulator to make a constant equivalent load to power supply. The equivalent load power consumption equals the average(rms) power consumption of the actual load with variation. I don't care the concrete parameter. I want to grasp the design idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back