Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS PIFA microstrip feed lumped port vs. wave port

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss microstrip lumped port

I looked through the forum at some pifa simulations and they used lumped port, which I think is correct. But I also looked at the tutorial and it shows that you can use a wave port for a microstrip feed (p. 345). Please comment.

feeding a printed pifa

I think lump port in HFSS can be easily applied since it can be built inside the airbox. For waveport, maybe you need to draw the feeding structure for PIFA together with the antenna, which increase the simulation complexity.

However, I heard that in HFSS we can also draw a void inside the airbox to assign the waveport, does anyone try that before? Thanks.

hfss microstrip lumped port tutorial

From the tutorial on microstrip it showed that the waveport was in the same spot as the lumped port except the wave port uses a large rectangle. The lumped port is a rectangle and only covers the dielectrics thickness and microstrip width. Just wondering how much different things can really be, but I guess I need to simulate to find out. Thanks.

microstrip assignment port hfss

You can have a waveport defined inside the airbox; you just need to place a solid PEC geometry (say a cube) on the other end of the waveport to let HFSS know which direction to solve for. I tried this and got good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back