Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Infrared photodiode amplifier schematic needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanm

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
photodiode schematic

Hi all,

The short story: I'm looking for an infrared photodiode amplifier schematic that is to be used in a universal remote control project.
The long story: please note that I'm NOT looking for an integrated module (SFH5110 and such), as I don't want to have the signal from the remote demodulated. An example to motivate this: even if a SFH with an internal filter centered at 36KHz would work for a 40Khz remote control (with limited efficiency), it will definetely NOT work well for a 120-khz modulated remote control (yes, they exist, although they are quite rare). Using more SFH-like sensors with different center frequencies is out of the question, so what I want to do is to amplify the signal from an ordinary IR photodiode to TTL levels and anaylize everything in a microcontroller. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the amplifier. While the Internet is full of SFH-based schematics, it seems that it's not so easy to find a good IR photodiode amplifier schematic. I also searched this forum, without too much luck though. I tried to use a combination of this schematic:

hxxp://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Interface/mod_det.htm

and an active high-pass filter connected to the output of the first stage, but I'm getting a quite distorted signal and I can't use it. I also tried a number of schematics with operational amplifiers, including a variation of this one:

hxxp://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Interface/irext5.htm

but also without luck. It seems that what I need is actually this (or a similar device):

hxxp://pdf.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/90289/ETC/SDP8600.html

But it seems that the above mentioned part is hard to find.
So, the conclusion: if you know of any schematic (or, even better, a specialized IC) that does what I need, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.

PS. Of course, I can use a phototransistor instead of a photodiode if this simplies things, though I doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.