Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broadband Patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element7k

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Has anyone came across a p@tch antenna which is very broadband. i.e. 850Mhz - 2.1GHz, with VSWR of < 3 throughout the band? and It will be very much appreciated if you can point me to a link or place the design here as an attachment for reference. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Element7k

The widest band version I have seen was 10% - 20% bandwidth.

Can you make a set of antennas with different frequency ranges and then use diplexers to send your signal to the right antenna.

Element7k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, Element7K: I think it is hard to find an traditional patch antenna (patch on one side and ground plane on the other side to form a cavity) with so wide frequency range. The reason is that the volume for the antenna is too small. To make it wide band, I think you should increase the volume for it. A typical example is an aperture coupled patch. Basically, you should at least try to avoid the resonator's field concentrated inside the substrate. For example, you can make a modified printed dipole with each arm to be oval shape. It has very good wide band behaviour. It looks like it is low profile. However, it does use much of the space. Its wide band behaviour relies upon the space on both sides of the substrate supporting the patches. If you use the space for other purposes by putting some other elements into the space, the wide band behaviour will be gone. In summary, you should try to increase the space for the field in order to get wide band radiator.

Best regards.

Element7k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back