Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implement MAX232 level converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scdoro

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max232 level converter

hi everyone,

I need to convert RS232 data to TTL(0-+5v) data, so I make use of a MAX232 level converter.

Qn(a): Can anyone verify my schematic( Attachment provided) to see if its correct?

Qn(b): Also, do I need to have a special serial cable (eg: Null modem cable) or just a
standard serial cable connected to the COM port?

Qn(c): Is there a need to connect any wires between any pins within the COM port?

Thanks

serial level converter using max232

A. Don't forget about pin 5 = 0V (GND) ..
B. 3-wire cable will be fine ..
C. I don't think you need any additional wires ..

One more thing, remember about crossing over cables, so Tx(1) of one device is connected to Rx(2) of the other device, and Rx(1) to Tx(2) ..

Regards,
IanP

max232 levels

Hi

For Qn B..will it be fine if i use a NULL modem cable to connect to the COM port?

thanks

max 232 level converter

From your point of view important thing is this: Null modem cables have the Tx (transmit) and Rx (Recieve) lines crossed over, thereby allowing data to be sent from one device to the other; other lines play no role in your application ..
So the answer is YES you can use NULL MODEM cable ..
Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back