Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Idea of measuring RMS voltage and current using MCU ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

arup

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear sir,

I have a project which needs to measure Supply Voltage and Current.I want to measure them using only MCu adc (ST7 with 10 bit ADC and 6 analog i/p channel).Could anybody help me ??I want a tested circuit and also want the design idea/steps to develope this firmware to measure voltage and current rms value.I believe supply input voltage is always RMS if it is not mentioned.so i don't have to take voltage sample ,square ,take average and take root of it.Or do I??Pls correct me if i am wrong.
pls note the max voltage and current for the system to measure are 260 V and 30 A respectively.And I know how to configure the adc for this particular MCU

Thanks,

arup

hi
Analoge Device have some Ic that give a signal and give rms value in output (analog output).
for sine wave ,if you have 2 sample with 90 angle(y(Θ)and y(Θ+90))
you can calculate peek of signal
Ym²=y(Θ)²+y(Θ+90)² Yrms=Ym/√2

You will have to sample the voltage (or current) signal at a fixed rate if the signal is not sinusoidal. The sampling frequency should be as high as possible to accurate results. After taking n samples you can caculate the RMS from

frms=√(Σ(sample(i)^2)/n) where i=1 to n

yes, The i/p supply wave form is sinusoidal.Max analog signal to the ADC pin is 5V .If any body is having the ckt pls post here.

thanks,
arup

hi can anyone upload a circuit which can measure ac voltage using parallel port or microcontroler and adc.

Status
Not open for further replies.