Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to synchronize the two clocks running at different freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowrimaharaja

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to synchronize the two clocks running at different freq?

Re: How to synchronize the two clocks running at different f

If difference is small it is impossible to synchronize them.
Or do you mean one of this frequency can be tuned by external signal?

My experience is you shoulde constrate on the code. You should stagger the two clocks.

use two flops as synchronizing flops when siganls cross from clock domain to another clock domain. This ensures that the signals is latche proeprly with second clock. this also ensures the metastable (which generally occurs in these situations) aviodance.

If you are talking about one clock system receving data generated by another asynchronous clock. You can use aynchronous FIFO. If only one bit handshake signal involved, you can use level synchronizer or pulse-synchronizer.

Nandy
www.nandigits.com
Netlist Debug/ECO in GUI mode.

Nandy tool is good at ECO? I will have a look, thanks nandy.

Hi cheelgo

Yes. GOF, Gates-On-the-Fly, is a graphical netlist Debug/ECO tool. I am one of the designers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Nandy
www.nandigits.com
Netlist Debug/ECO in GUI mode.

i didn't truely understand the question..

but i agree with silencer 3..

if you want to sync to a clock you hafta use flops to cross the clock domain..

jelydonut

Use synchronizers when you a signal is crossing the clock boundaries

A synchroniser circuit used as an intermediate between the two flops (different frequencies). This synchroniser circuit can be modelled using two latches one enabled using clk1 and other being enabled by clk2 . Also variable frequency will affect your hold time constraint drastically if second flop is a t high frequency than the first .

hi ,
Actually can tell me whether u working in the bread board or in the synthesis segment on a EDA tool..

Anyway the concept is not to unnecessarily optimze the path u have designed between two flops by the tool.. U are in look out for commands do tell i will mail that.

u can use synchroniser circuit constituting latches.. but jus follow the path carefully including all the possible combination paths also and compute timing manually not to violate set up and hold time..

regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back