Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a frequency doubler on silicon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grig

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Frequency Doubler

Hi
How to design high linear (-80dBc) wide band frequency doubler on silicon?
Sombody has good idea?

Thanks

Re: Frequency Doubler

Perhaps the two wave rectifier principle can be used too, making two out of phase signals, driving a diode quad, etc.

Thanks ,G579
Two wave rectifier....?.....Give me some reference,Please

Woah there cowboy. Frequency doublers are, by definition, 100% non linear. So what do you mean by linear and -80 dBc?

Grig, imagine a mains power supply, with a center tapped transformer and two diodes, anode of diodes go to the two transformer points, center point of transformer grounded, and the output is the connected cathode points of the diodes. Sometime it is called a full wave rectifier.

Grig

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

cos²(ωt)=½+½cos(2ωt)

If you want to design a high linearity frequency doubler you need a high linearity multiplier.
If you feed both inputs of the multiplier with the signal cos(ωt), at the output you get a signal with double frequency and a DC component.

Hi Eugen_E

I have such basic, but may be you have some reference about design isue of high linear multiplier (wide bandwidth and optimized in the reason of power consumption)?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Eugen_E,i see your reply .and i think frequency doubler look like mixer.
is't right?
is there any other techique to doubler?
please give a advise.

upz! I'm looking for similar info :)

Thanks!

If you refer to a typical double balanced mixer circuit. Replace the ring quad with a bridge quad. The LO port become the input, the RF port becomes the output. The IF becomes shorted or terminated.

Operation is equal to that of a full-wave bridge rectifier except you don't remove the AC with a filter cap.

Grig

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back