Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's cheaper CCD image sensor or CMOS sensor with 2 megapixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljoxxx

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to everybody. I would like to build digital camera for my project in school.
Can anybody help me and tell me how to start?
I will use some CCD IMAGE SENSOR or maybe CMOS SENSOR with 2megapixles. I also need some Image processor and power management.
I yust need some very cheap digital camera and help from you.
Main voltage would be 9-12V - purpose is to use some battery. I would like that picture could be sent to USB stick or by IR maybe bluetooth to comp.

Im trying to build micro digital camera.

Please help me. :D

Re: ccd or cmos camera

If you want a cheap system, I think the cmos sensor is the best choise.

You may be check the OmniVision (www.ovt.com) products such as ov02640.

For image process, there are winbond chip or philips
other chip you need are LCD, SDRAM, CF/SD card, and maybe a motor

Omnivision and Micron have good cmos sensors.

you can the cmos image sensor modules from ebay
also there is a good module called CMU which uses CMOS image sensor module
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam2/ , read the documentation they are mentioning the components and the circuit.

a camera is not only some electronics & software...
it needs also an optical set-up (lens, lens holder ,... maybe a motorized focus)
you can find some CMOS sensors with micro-lenses that may avoid you the lens but it has worse quality.

You may use chip from ST

Maybe this presentation can help you a little bit out:

**broken link removed**

National Semiconductors have CMOS image sensors wich can help you a lot of work, they also have image processors, and, its a interesting project, personally i dont like to re-invent the wheel, but its so educational made one..

Maybe you also requiere to learn about FPGA's, with they you can build a part or the entire image processor, in home-made vision system's i'll usually seen them with a CMOS sensor sistem from National...

Good luck fellow..

Nice project !
My advice is that you keep it as simple as you can, if you can find a sensor with built in lenses that don't need focus use it, and the same applies to other things, i don't have any experience with this kind of projects (or any other kind to say the truth, i'm still a student) but the thing i've learned until now with school projects is that you need to keep them simple because some problem allways comes up to make your life difficult and the less things that can go wrong the better.
I don't want to discourage you in any way, go for it but keep it real, remember that known brands have digital cameras on the market that do lots of stuff but don't do nearly half of them as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back