Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stacking voltage regulator to get more amperage

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to get more amperage by connecting two same voltage regulator chip
**broken link removed**

in parrallel?

may be, but not recomended
and at output of each regular chip use with resistor , e.g : 0.1 / 1 Ohm

Amperage can be increased by connecting parallel transistors
**broken link removed**

is there a draw back to the circuit b/c it seems really simple and good.

Well I didnt used the circuit the same circuit but have used the same principle to increase the amperage (only one transistor) of one of my circuit when I was in college and it just worked fine for me.
I guess this is a well Known method of increase the amperage for power supply

Yes, most regulator datatsheets show similar circuits. They work well.

the only drawback would be that the regulator is a linear regulator. hence if you draw too much current and drop too much voltage across the regulator, you would be dissipating lot of heat. you can use a switching regulator instead (smps of an old comp.)

the problem would be mismatch - if one device was 2mv high, and the next was 2mv low, first device would drive all the power while the second was off.

that was khongai's suggestion - a small ballast resistor drops some voltage dependent on load that tends to even out the mismatch.

in general i would suggest against paralleling these, but with ballasting you could probably get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back