Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me choose a sensor for a water flow meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sush

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear freinds
i want to design a flow meter for water and interface it with 8051 using lcd .please help me out for which sensor to use and what technique to follow.

will be waiting for respanse
thanks

flow meter with ntc

There are several sensor methods for two cases. Open channel is like rivers and the other is like in pipes that are totally full. For the sensor you can use a paddle wheel or propeller for a mechanical type sensor. There are electromagnetic sensors that work like the hall effect and use the ions in the liquid. Then there is the pressure difference across a restriction method. This can be as simple as a plate with a hole or as complex as a venturi tube.

heat meter on msp430

thanx for replying flatulent.i want to measure flow rate in a closed metallic pipe.is there any readymade sensor available which is cost effective .

flow meter site:edaboard.com

puls dapller metod sensor can be used.
it use ultrasonic wave to measuring the speed of liquid for bout open channel and pipe application .
there is same ferorosenance sensor for pipe App.
try E+H web site .

Re: flow meter for water

I have made such an application at school several years ago with a ntsc which was heated up and cooled down with the flow. The higher the flow, the more the ntsc is cooled down. The water temperature was also measured with an integrated temp sensor because the water temperature is also needed in the function.
The method has been proven to work but it demands calibration.

flow meter for water

Thanks buddies for replying. hey "dreeke" what do you mean by "ntsc" ??? is it NTC (negative temperature coeff.) of something else .. tell me the details....anyways, thanks buddy

Of course Sush, you are right about the NTC. I have been working too long with video...
With a bit of detail:
The project was to measure heatflow through a radiator. The temperature at the entry point and at the exit are measured with I think it was a LM35 heat sensor. If you know the flow of the water than you know the heatflow. The waterflow was measured with a NTC which is heated up a bit by letting some current flow through it. The NTC is in the flowing water and is cooled down. The higher the flow, the more the NTC is cooled down. This system is simple and it has been proven to work in the lab but it needs calibration.

Greetings,
Dreeke

hi all...

can any body help me about internal system of magnetic flow meter????

and i want to know that is it possible to make and calibrate such a system in home????

Hi

Ti has nice application note for magnetic flow meter for the MSP430

icluding source code and hardware design

All the best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.