Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low cost water flow meter any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
flow meter site:edaboard.com

Hi all,
I need to develop and simple water flow meter for my collage project which can be interfaced through microcontroller so that i can display the flow rate on lcd screen any one have idea about such a sensor then plz tell.

regards
:?:

1. Use 2 thermistors. One is maintained at a constant temperature (constt R) and the other measures the water temperature. The power needed to maintain the TH1 at a constant temperature depends on flow and water T. Use lookup tables to compute flow.

2. Use paddle float with a spring that deflects the paddle in proportion to the flow. Measure the deflection.

3. Use a rudder fan and measure the speed of the fan. You will have to figure out a way to seal it from water.

If the flow rate isn't too large for example in saline drips in hospitals you can use a capacitor with the plates on either side of the water flow. The capacitance changes with the dielectric constant which varies with the amount of water flowing through.

use what is used on some boat sensors.
By placing a magnetic field at right angle to flow and then measure electrical current
measure time of flight with two ultrasonic xducers.

Use an orifice plate; and measure the pressure on both sides

Turn a light weight wheel. then count the number of rotations using an optical mehtod ...within a certain time (say 0.5 s). Try smaller period for larger speed and better resolution.

Best Regards

Randika K

This is exactly what a turbine flowmeter does.

there is an article :
**broken link removed**

also contains some useful references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back