Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse generator circuit for pulses in sub-nanosecond region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf007

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

I have been working in building a pulse generator circuit, but I am failing to get the pulse in the sub nanosecond reigon (400ps). The lowest I get is around 5ns. Does anybody have a working circuit I can play with that has the capabilty to go to 400ps. I only have a suplly of 24V and need a pulse of 5-10V with a pulse with of less than 1ns.

Thank you
:D

pulse generator 74ac

may be 555 timers could solve your problem, and generate a pulse width of 1 ns, up on values of capacitors and resistors

74ac pulse generator

Hello Gandalf007,
What kind of circuit are you using?
A posible starting point could be to use an avalanche mode pulse generator, but with only 24V it could be dificult.
I have made an avalache mode pulse generator, I don't remember pulse with, but attempting to measure its rise time with a 500 Mhz scope (the best I could get in this time) gives me the scope's rise time.
Hope this helps

Best regards

pulse generator circuit fast rise time avalanche

Hi,I have designed a pulse generator for sub nanosecond ,also used avalanche NPN transistors.I don't know what type of ciucuit you choose and what do you wanna know about it!

custom pulse circuit

Will I be able to use a avalanche NPN with only 24V supply?

2n2369a +pulse generator

It seems impossible,
but with low votage you can use SRD

pulse generator circuit 24v

Do you have a circuit for me that uses a SRD?

pulser

here is a circuit about SRD pulse generator!

srd short pulse circuit

the out waveform

74ac nanosecond pulse

In years past, I built a number of different high-speed pulse generators; including several avalanche-xsistor based units.

The #1 advantage of using avalanche pulsers is the ease of obtaining quite high output power.

24v is very marginal for avalanche circuits....you might try some of the recent 8ghz fT small-signal xsistors, with the -lowest- Vcc-max rating you can find; and see if you can get consistent operation under 24v.

I can pretty easily get 600ps transition times from a 2N2369A, but most of them require 50-60 volt supply for consistent operation.

But since you left out a whole lot of necessary specification information; it's real hard to give specific advice.

For example....

You didn't specify whether you need high output power, or not.

You say you need 5-10v pulse height, but you didn't specify the load resistance.

You didn't specify what repetition-rate (frequency) you need.

You didn't specify what waveform you needed; and whether or not waveshape quality was important or not.

These things are important because, for example, if you need kilowatt peak power, a typical small-signal SRD isn't going to work; whereas an avalanche will easily make that kind of high-power pulse.

But if you need 100ps edge-rates, an avalanche won't work; but an SRD will.

Also, avalanche circuits are generally hard to build for a rep-rate much above 100-200 khz. The heating in the xsistor becomes a real issue as the freq rises. Higher F ckts can be made, but they're much trickier. A 10khz avalanche, on the other hand, is very very simple to make.

Also, depending on what kind of shape you need for the low-frequency portion of the waveform, you can get your required 10v of signal -regardless- of the available power-supply voltage; simply by using a xformer at the output. This is true regardless of what device you use.

If you only need single pulses, or at most a few hundred Hz, then you can get very fast pulses with nothing but a relay and a piece of coax. For 400ps, you really don't even need the coax.....a short microstrip trace on the PCB will work for the xmission line.

To avoid contact-bounce and get a clean output pulse-train, you will have to use a mercury-wetted type of relay. Even at that, a 400ps overall-width will be very hard to achieve. Tek used to make a relay-type pulse-gen, which used their own custom relay, which was filled with high-pressure hydrogen to improve operation.

However, I've acheived decent results from regular 'commercial' type merc-wetted relays. You need to look at the physical construction and choose one which is set up closest to good RF practice...i.e. straight-thru signal-path, short connections, etc..

Bear in mind that a 400ps "pulse" implies edge-rates of 200ps, or even less; and that is a VERY high-frequency signal. No matter which "device" you design around, you will have to do a VERY VERY good job on the PHYSICAL design (layout, construction, choice of components and materials) to have any chance of achieving a usable result.

best of luck with it....high-speed pulsers are an enjoyable fun challenge to work with.

PS: the Tek 7904 scope with the right plug-ins is available pretty cheap (a couple hundred bucks) and is just barely capable of work in the 700ps and up arena.

A Tek 7104 with the right plugins is probably around 700-1000 bucks, and is just barely capable of useful work in the 400ps arena you're talking about.

Any Tek 7000 series storage scope, with the 7T11/7S11 sampling plugins, is fully capable of working down to the sub-200ps arena; and with the right front-end module for the 7S11, could probably be had for around 300-600 bucks.

If you plan on doing a lot of fast-edge/fast-pulse work, the sampling-scope setup is probably worth the investment.

You might be able to find an older sampling-type digital scope for similar money....like one of the old 54000 series HP units. Just make sure it's working (inputs not blown), because otherwise it's a useless piece of scrap....the repair parts are all custom and are big $$$$$.

ps; you may be able to get close to the pulse you need with nothing more than a logic-IC from some very fast modern family....i.e. something like 74ACxxx logic, but a bit newer and faster. As I recall, 74AC has edge rates right around 1ns or even a bit faster...so presumably the next-newer series might get into the range you need.

Differentiate the output-edge, and you might end up with a pretty short pulse....600-800ps or so...and to get the voltage you need, add a xformer at the output.

Pulse circuit

Hi,dozer!
You made an excellent job at pulser,I learnd more from your report above.Thanks!

Need of circuit

I am developing a COMB GENERATOR. So please send me the circuits along with component values to generate a picosecond range pulses at 50 ohms output load (Antenna).

Status
Not open for further replies.