Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a biggener needs help with encoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHa111

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
16 key encoder

hi all,
i need a 16 to 4 line encoder in my project
and i can't find an IC for that
plz can anybody tell me if it is available or not?and tell me plz the part no.
anyway,i try 2 make a simple calculator using pic16F627 and for the numbres from 0-9 and the operations(+,-,*,/) i wanna them to be on PORTB(RB4:RB7) to use the interrupt on "port change" feature...so how can i use these pins on these 4 pins???unless an encoder is used
plz help
thx all

Hi,

I've seen 4-16 decoders, but not 'encoders'. However, I assume all you're trying to do is have 16 'switches' and encode them to binary, for your micro. The 'port change interupt' should work fine for this.

Try a 4x4 keypad encoder. Theres a few IC's out there that will do this automatically, scan the keypad and output the appropriate binary value for any key pressed. It will only display the first key pressed, and most of these chips have a 'data ready' line, which goes hi when a new button is pressed. Debouncing is also done.

Of course, doing this in software, in your micro won't be a hassle. It will use an entire port (8 pins) but thats only 4 extra pins, but I supose, with the 627, I/O's are at a premium.

I don't know where you are, and how easy it is to get IC's, but heres a few links that should help you.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/9817.pdf
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=16-key+encoder&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
**broken link removed**
http://www.imaginetools.com/documentation/docs/manuals/MicroStarterKit/appcalcu.htm

Unfortunately, probably because of microcontrollers, and CPLD's, IC's specifically for scanning small keypads are now quite rare. And the above was the only IC I could find, but it seems to being widely available, if not a little expensive. It might even be cheaper to buy a cheap PIC micro and use that as a 'slave' keyboard scanner. The program is very simple, just scan the keyboard for changes, and I've seen some PIC's with few peripherals being sold in small quantaties very cheaply. Probably about $1.

Also, there are alternatives to conventional 'scanning'. Try here:
http://www.discovercircuits.com/K/keypad.htm
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

So, if you can't find the MM74C922, then try these other techniques. It really depends on cost, availability of parts, and 'hassle'.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

BuriedCode.

NoHa111

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks alot for ur reply it was really helpful

Anytime bro :)

If you decide to use a micro/CPLD I'd be happy to help you with the algorithm, although theres tons of info about keyboard/keypad scanning on the net.

Good luck,

BuriedCode.

A compelete Electronic Resource Centre - Encoders - Tutorial

Hi Guyzz..i've found these 2 very interesting sites for electronic hobbyists, hope u can solve ur electronic design problem from here... try to find out in encoders section good luck :D...:idea:

www.hobbyprojects.com/tutorial.html - Hobby Projects, a resource for Hobbyist, Engineers, Students, R&D Persons & Consultants, Electronic projects, Circuits, Electronic Tutorials, Microcontroller Based Projects, Diagrams, moving displays, transmitters, receivers, robotic arm, engineering projects, Science Projects, wide range of electronic materials, products and solutions are available here

www.sciencelobby.com Science Lobby is a useful collection of Electronic Circuits, Schematics, Electronic Tutorials, Projects, Computer Interface, Diagrams, Science Projects Fair to find quick solution for electronic design problems for electronic for beginners, hobbyists, engineers, inventors and consultants. :idea:

've had a lot of luck with sciencelobby.com, helped me through two semesters of electronics and two semesters of digital circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back