Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lead acid battery to NIMH battery safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
nimh safe

Is it safe to use NIHM battery with a device that originally came with lead acid? Is NIHM sensitive to vibration?

can i replace lead acid with nimh battery?

You can replace lead acid battery with similar capacity NIMH battery.
Vibration should not be a problem.
The only one thing you have to be aware of is that Ni-MH batteries can be damaged from heat due to overcharging, but this is easily avoided by using a high quality, microprocessor controlled battery charger or a charger designed for Ni-MH batteries and charging as directed by the manufacturer..
Regards,
IanP

mixing lead acid nimh

Take care that the original way to recharge the lead acid batteries is not working properly with the NI-MH batteries too.
You risk to make an explosion due to surcharge of the batteries connected.
The recharging of the NI-MH batteries is something quite complicated, involving current, temperature, voltage and time.
If You are not recharging the batteries in your circuit I don't see any problem.
About vibrations, tested on one applicatoin until 8G random without any problem.

Mandi

nickel metal hydride vs lead acid

is lead acid sensitive to vibration? My brand new lead acid cell for a scooter went dead after 3 weeks. I recharge after every use and never discharged it completely.

Can mixing old cells with new cells be the cause?

replace acid lead battery with ni-mh battery

Probably the only thing I would worry about is the charging. Make sure you use a NiMH charger, since the algorithm is different. This is really important, that the batteries be charged correctly.

Mixing old cells with new ones is always a bad idea, regardless of chemistry.

How do you test to see the overall health of a cell?

when doing a load test, does the voltage drop at the cell's terminal determine its health? How do you measure internal resistance?

Added after 5 minutes:

I have 4 cells and two of them have different voltage (.5 v higher). What are some tricks to bring all 4 to the same voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.