Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect external memory for 8-bit micro chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yin-Yang

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
External memory

Hiya

It's my first post today! I have been told that this forum is a good place to ask for help especially electronic and microcontroller engineering, also a lot of people are friendly here too. Let hope so!

I have been learning to use a simple 8-bit microcontroller chip like AT89C52 in C. Now I need to understand how to connect external memory where I can store 1024 bytes of data in. Unfortunately I do not know which external memory will be suitable for my application or how to write the codes to write the data 1024 bytes in the external memory.

Your help would be appreicated

::Yin-Yang::

Re: External memory

hai

Its great to see u here

I would advise u to first read a good embedded system Design book ( search in our Ebook fourm) . and u`ll get exact idea of wat to use..

i soon post a link for ebook or ... some of our forum guys will post
a good ebook for u.

-helios

Hiya guys

I can't find 'embedded system design' in Ebook section but I would find tutorial better.

I am sure there are plenty of genuis guys have pretty good idea of using external memory with AT89C52. So please heeeeeeeelp me? 8O :oops: :roll:

::Yin-Yang::

you can use at89s8252 have 2 k internal eeprom, and easy to use, I have example how to use eeprom, if you want use at89s8252 I post it

aldevan said:
you can use at89s8252 have 2 k internal eeprom, and easy to use, I have example how to use eeprom, if you want use at89s8252 I post it

That would be really lovely if you post the example here for me and everyone to learn (Please be aware that I only write in C). But I still need to understand about interfacing memory and write in C.

Yin-Yang :)

this examplo, was compilled with SDCC C compiller, and is a litle program to Save using INT0 and INT1 to Restore from eeprom

There are also serial EEPROMs and flash memory available. You can check out Atmel's website for their offering.

That's interesting because I have been trying to understand to use the external memory and pdata for keil environment. So if I intend to use AT93C46 (serial EEPROM), should I need to carry out serial data aglorithm instead of pdata?

Maverick Max

If you want to use a at89s8252 with external memory, you should use a serial EEPROM such as the AT25xxx family from Atmel. It uses SPI communication and your micrcontroller has a hardware SPI module, which simplifies greatly the implementation. I don't have ready-made code, but you can read the uC's datasheet in combination with the memory's datasheet in order to know how to communicate between the two.

Good luck,

CyBeRbLaK

Status
Not open for further replies.