Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone design HDMI here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quake

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. It seems that HDMI becomes popular and some companies had already released their soc product with HMDI interface, but what I see are IPs, like those from SiliconImage. What I hope to know is: is HDMI a real hot topic nowadays? are there many big companies design
this? and do they just use IP or they also design the IP? since company like SiliconImage sells HDMI IPs, and some SOC integraters or HDTV asic supliers use
it. This standard also includes analog part in it, is that right? It is seems to me that
these companies have the patent, so few other Co realy design it, right?
I am new to this field and interested in it, hope anyone who is familiar with it or currently design HDMI can share me some info. Thanks

Hi Quake,

It start from DVI (digital Video Interface). PC-related industry start it. Then, HDMI started. HDMI added audio data, which audiophile-related industry want it.

There are analog and digital part in HDMI. One of the key patent is in the recovery of clock from the data stream (CDR) as this is a low-voltage serial data transmission.

The last time I heard of HDMI is that PC-industry doesn't ready like it. I might be wrong. What I understand is that why not just use modified version of new PC serial standard like USB, serial-ATA, fire-wire etc for the interface?

Regards,
Eng Han

hi, thanks. You say the CDR, is this one part in the TMDS module? And is this analog part complex compared with some other current topics like USB
PHY, etc? Or it is just because that is a patent, few
Co implement it? Can you briefly describe the analog part? I do not know much about how well does it do in PC, but it seems that is a good choice in consumer electronics and digital TVs, since the data transmitted are in high quality and without compression.
anyone know more, please comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back