Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor driver/motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhl

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone,

well...just wanna know...what's the difference between motor driver and motor controller ? are they the same ? tq !

For the purpose of not splitting hair you can say that : a "motor drive" and a "motor controller" are the same things ..
Regards,
IanP

You will see most people referring to "motor driver" the power stage of system, and "motor controller" the logical part that control the motor driver ....

the motor controller control the motor.... but it cannot supply enuff current to the motor as it is logic type.... so it(motor controller) need motor driver to supply the current for him(motor controller).....

regards,
sp

fhl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok, thanks everyone :D

btw, tht's mean...if i use a microcontroller, the microcontroller will be the motor controller and i need a driver to drive the motor, rite ?

fhl said:
ok, thanks everyone :D

btw, tht's mean...if i use a microcontroller, the microcontroller will be the motor controller and i need a driver to drive the motor, rite ?

ya ya... u r correct...

please read more on motor control... u might need some sort of protection using diode to protect the supply n controller...

regards,
sp

fhl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok, thanks :D

please read more on motor control... u might need some sort of protection using diode to protect the supply n controller...

Yes, you might find it very unforgiving if you don't consider the inductive load of a motor driver.

inductive kick can usually toast your output stage if you are not careful enough:cry:

thanks ! :)

there are some motor controller with the driver, built-in with the controller itself
but if you use this type of device you have to replace both controller and driver each time the there's an overload on the driver circuit !...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back