Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscope V/div for frequency to periodic time

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do i set the Volts per Divisions on the oscilloscope on it will read the "period"
( one cycle ) for each of these frequency with the periodic time?

10hz=100ms
What should the volts per division be set to on the oscilloscope?
to display the period and it will be 100ms?

20hz=50ms
to display the period and it will be 50ms?

50hz=20ms
to display the period and it will be 20ms?

100hz=10ms
to display the period and it will be 10ms?

200hz=5ms
to display the period and it will be 5ms?

300hz 3.33ms
400hz 2.5ms
500hz 2ms
600hz 1.67ms
700hz 1.42ms
800hz 1.25ms
900hz 1.11ms
1Khz 1ms
2Khz 0.5ms
3Khz 0.3ms
4Khz 0.25ms
5Khz 0.2ms

Nonsense. V/div has nothing to do with time base settings. Use T/div to set time base and V/div to set Y sensitivity of oscilloscope.

Sorry i mean the Times per Division settings

Actual setting of T/div depends on number of horizontal divisions of your display. If it is 10 div. set T/div at 10 times smaller value to get one periode of signal.
If T/div is equal to periode of signal you will get one periode each horizontal division.

Oscilloscopes usually have a couple of knobs that provide linear adjustment which need to be turned to the CAL end for the v/div and t/div settings to be accurate (provided the scope is calibrated).

So when i turn the Time per division knob and i get the period of the frequency
how do i measure the recipical of the frequency is in TIME in "ms" i have to
set the Time per division knob so each Division adds up to the "ms" time of the
frequency how do i do this and set this up on the oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope displays the input signal. It does not modify the signal in any way, including its frequency. No amount of tuning would change the signal. The only changes are how the display is scaled.

To read the frequency of the signal, you adjust the time/div setting to capture at least one period of the signal, then count the number of divisions this period spans, then multiply this by the time/div setting.

For example, if your signal period stretches 2 divisions on the display, and the time/div setting is 50ms/div, this means that the period is 100ms, or 10Hz.

Yea but when i turn the oscilloscpe Time/div and set it to a "x" ms when i
count the cubes/divisions and Multiple it how do i know if im doing this
right to get the conversion of Frequency=time conversion

The Period=time=frequency

For best accuracy, set the time/ div so as to fit only one period of the signal on the screen (or as few periods as possible). Then count the number of divisions and fractions of divisions that the period takes (you may need to adjust the x-pos to make the measurement easier).
Then multiply the number of divisions by the "x" time/ div. This is the period of the signal. The frequency is simply f=1/T.

For example, let's say the time/div setting that you need to see only one period on the screen is 20us/div and the actual period of the signal is 7.6 div. Thus, 7.6*20=152us
Then f=6.579kHz

I think we are going in circles. Please ask someone else to rephrase what exactly you want to ask, then post the proper question. Because, I don't think any of us really understand what exactly you want.

How many Divisions/cubes on the oscilloscope should i count for these
basic 101 frequencys?

There should be a Chart about this stuff

There exist no charts about what you are asking. You should make one on your own.

can you please help me start it ?

The scope will display as many periods as can fit on the screen, based on the period and time/div. If the signal has a period of 100ms and you set the time/div to 100ms, then ten periods will be displayed on the screen, because time/div refers to one "cube".
The screen has a total of 10 horizontal "cubes", so you will see 10 periods.

On the other hand, if you set the time/ div to 10ms, then the entire screen will be swept in 10*10=100ms, so you will only see one period on the entire screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back