Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

squarewave 50 percent duty cycle oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
square wave duty cycle

Basic math - a percentage is not a count. It is a fraction. Are you familiar with expressions like 50-50 or 20-80 when people talk about splitting profits? Those are percentages.

Duty cycles are about splitting periodic timing into two parts, the time when the signal is high, and the time when the signal is low. 50% is easy to describe. 50% = 1/2. When you split profits 50-50, each partner gets half the cash. Each of you will get the same amount. Half the time, the signal will be high, and half the time, the signal will be low. You adjust the trimpot until the time (horizontal length) of the high and low signals are equal.

Explaining any other percentage is more time consuming. Good luck on finding someone willing to explain this. You may want to visit a math forum.

what does a square wave with 50% duty cycle means

basically a 50% duty cycle means that the high portion and low portion of a single cycle are equal.
Therefore if your time period while looking at the scope is such that it takes say 8 divisions to complete one cycle. To achieve a 50% duty cycle the high period would br 4 divisions and the low portion also 4 divisions.
Thus 4 divisions high + 4 divisions low = 8 divisions total and 1 cycle.
All a 50% duty cycle means is that each portion of the signal high or low are equal and 1/2 of the original total cycle.
Hope that helps.

oscilloscope divisions

Thanks alot guys for helping me out on this stuff

This is what im been look for in this format:
50% duty cycle the high period would br 4 divisions and the low portion also 4 divisions. Thus 4 divisions high + 4 divisions low = 8 divisions total and 1 cycle.

20% duty cycle the High period would be 2 divisions?
and the low period would be 6 division?
for 1 cycle or period?

70% duty cycle the Hight period would be 6 divisions?
and the low period would be 2 divisions?
for 1 cycle or period

555 duties cycle adjust

20% of 8 divisions is 1.6 divisions.
70% of 8 divisions is 5.6 divisions.
It's time to review your 5th-grade school arithmetic.

50 duty cycle 555 timer

Thanks Echo 47 sorry if it seems that im stupid but this really means alot to me
to understand that im doing this stuff right

can you please tell me the other ones also so i can make a chart out of this

10%-90% divisions? like u did for me?

Added after 2 minutes:

20% of 8 divisions is 1.6 divisions.

1.6 division in the High state?
and 7.4 division in the low state?

70% of 8 divisions is 5.6 divisions.

5.6 division of the high state?
and 4.4 division of the low state?

a square wave with a 40 percent duty cycle

If you take a dollar you know it has 100 cents. If you have only 15 cents you have only 15% of a dollar. And so on.
Imagine you cut an apple in to 100 equal pieces. You divided 1 whole apple to 100 parts. if you eat 22 parts you have eaten 22% of an apple.
Imagine a period of a signal as 100%. If you have duty cycle of a signal equal to 35% it means that signal will be high for 35% of time for a period which is as I said equal 100% of time. So, if duration of period of signal is equal to 8 divisions it means that 8 divisions is 100%. Your 1% is 8/100 divisions. When you want to know how much divisions is 40% you simply multiply 40*8/100.
You allready guessed that 50% means halve of 1 whole.

duty cycle square wave

This is the Duty cycle chart i made up

10% X 8/100= 0.8 divisions
20% X 8/100= 1.6 divisions
30% X 8/100= 2.4 divisions
40% X 8/100= 3.2 divisions
50% X 8/100= 4 divisions
60% X 8/100= 4.8 divisions
70% X 8/100= 5.6 divisions
80% X 8/100= 6.4 divisions
90% X 8/100= 7.2 divisions
100%X 8/100= 8 divisions

example 20% will display on the oscilloscope 1.6 divisions of the HIGH state
of the square wave from and 6.4 divisions of the LOW state of the wave form
this is a good chart to use to know if your 555 timer output is at the right duty cycle

oscope duty cycle

You finally got it. But how many percent is 3 divisions of 8?

duty cycle of oscilloscope

sorry but your going to have to "transpose" the formula for me because its not
the same formula u gave me because im solving for a new "X" component

50 persent duty cycle on a 555

It can be:
8/100=3/X
or
3/8=X/100

555 timer 50 percent duty cycle

i think i get 37.5%

oscilloscopio duty cycle

You get it right. When you want to find out what is duty cycle of a signal you must first measure duration of period and duration of time interval where signal is high and then calculate it. You do not need any charts.

20% duty cycle square wave

Thanks this helps me out alot

measure duration of period

How do i do this? do you mean to just move the time per division knob on the oscilloscope until the waveform or pulse fill all 8 divisions for 1 cycle?

duration of time interval where signal is high and then calculate it.

Do you mean just count the number of division when the signal is High state?
then Multiple it by the time per division setting

What is duration of time inverval mean?

Period means just 1 cycle the duration is a time inveral

I thought period is a time inverval

You may just turn time/dev knob and time/div vernier to get displayed a period of signal accross whole number of divisions, it can be 8 div. for example. Then you count number of div. where signal is high. In such a way you will get both data the duration (interval) of a period and duration of the interval where signal is high. They are expressed in divisions. You do not need to calculate time. All to do now is to use both data and calculate duty cycle.

Are Time intervals just for square wave pulses ?

Time intervals are divisions ? because 1 division is a time interval and 2 divisions
is another time interval

Time intervals= a frequency?

You again jump into nonsense conclusions.
Period of a signal has its time duration expressed in seconds. Time duration and position in time of part of signal with high amplitude is sometimes called time interval in which that part exists. For any portion of signal you can say it has duration or it is happening in certain time interval.

frequency=1/Tperiode

Frequency of a signal can be calculated only from a duration of its periode and not from a portion of a signal.

Borber thanks

Time intervals are expressed in divisions

so what is 3 divisions of a time interval set at 10ms on the time per division knob?

Would it be 30ms time interval?

can your give me please some examples of measuring time intervals ?

7 divisions of a time interval set a 1ms on the time per division knob ? would be
7ms time interval?

Thanks alot borber for the help i needed it alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back