Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

White Noise Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhat

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
white noise generator circuit

the white noise generator attached circuit is from circuit cellar magazine, i don't understand the part with red outline. i know that TR1 is inverted to generate white noise but i don't know its analysis for example how could VR1 control the noise level? what is the importance of c1?why don't use only one capacitor instead of c5 and c6?

ragards

C1 filters the power supply to the first stage. This prevents oscillations from power supply coupling.

The noise of the input resistor is amplified by the transistor stages. The noise voltage is proportional to the square root of the resistance.

The two parallel capacitors bypass over a wider frequency range. The larger one has more series inductance which prevents it from bypassing higher frequencies.

The noise of the input resistor is amplified by the transistor stages.
what about TR1? isn't it used for noise generation not amplification. what is the use of R2? in the simulation i have measured the voltage at the node between R1 and R2 and it was 12v, this means that the current in R2 branch is so small.

TR1 has the base emitter junction reverse biased. This produces noise also. The noise is proportional to the current which is controlled by the variable resistor.

I was not observant at examining the circuit the first time and did not notice that the first stage was not a PNP type.

The noise spectrum of this reverse biased junction in breakdown is not exactly flat. A noise generator using just the resistor would be more flat.

The R2 and the C1 form a voltage divider at AC and decouples the signal path from the power supply rail.

thanks for your reply , the something that i don't understand is the use of R2 as it drops very small voltage . what if i remove R2,what will happen?

If you remove R2 there is the possibility of amplifier oscillation.

Think of R2 and C1 as being a low pass filter. Although the first transistor generates random noise, it is sensitive to changes in the supply voltage. R2/C1 are there to remove most of the supply borne signals.

Brian.

Curious... It flagged as a new message. I didn't look back through the dates.

Possibly someone had revived the thread then deleted their message.

Brian.

There was some spam added to the message today which brought it to the top of the forum. The spam has now been deleted.

Keith.

As Keith noticed, there was a spam added to the thread and it was deleted.

I believe it is good if you can answer the old questions/posts because when the new users join to the forum then that will be benefited them and sometimes It might helpful to the author as well.

Regards
bassa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back