Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to switch between two power sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro Disma

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

what is the most power efficient way to choose between two power sources?
To be more precise, I have a solar powered circuit with a dc regulated output and a rechargable battery, and want to be able to automatically select the best of those two upon voltage level conditions (i.e.always keep a 3V output).

Thanks a lot!

If you are using a battery that can be float charged (Ie lead acid) and it dosn't matter if the output voltage can droop then the best way is probably to feed the solar cell output into a constant voltage regulator that charges the battery and also provides power out. If your equipment draws more current than the solar cell can provide it will start drawing surrent out of the battery.

If you want to switch between sources you can buy relays with two coils. The contacts stay in the last postion they were pulled to with no power on either coil.

A comparator circuit to drive such a relay could be made that uses very little power when not changing between power sources.

I think relays draw to much current so you should consider p-channel mosfet option which can be driven from a low-power comparator thruogh a couple of npn transistors; some more details you can find here:

(my last post)
Regards,
IanP

Pro Disma

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
try a comparator which has a 3 V logic out and the analog part runs on 5V or so.

Have solar system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back