Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does inductor do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huji

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what does an inductor do

Hi,
Can anybody tell me what is the function of an inductor and when and how do we used it in circuit. In dc analysis what is the inductive reactance ( XL) or resistance of a inductor. Hope you can explain from ac and dc side of view.Thanks

function of inductor

basically an inductor consists of a number of coils

and based on the laws of EMI it produces a flux which opposes the change in current

i.e. if current is increased it tends to decrease it by producing opposite flux and vice versa

if an inductor is placed in an ac circuit it acts as +ve impedence i.e. Z=+jωL

in a dc ckt, it initially acts as open circuit but gradually becomes short-circuit

what does inductor do

The inductor is a coil that can be used in frequently in oscillators circuits and filters in addition to the capacitive, and when used in ac circuit it has an
XL=WL=2*pi*F*L so due to the equation XL increase withe increase of frequency and decrease with he decrease of frequency, but in a DC Circuits it acts Like Short circuit at the final state

function of an inductor

Inductor is a cicuit element which stores electrical energy in the of magnetic field.
Inductive reactance =jwL where w=2*pi*f .so when f=0 ie(pure d.c) then xL=0 ie inductor behaves as ashort cicuit.but as frequency increases it opposes the flow of current.
hope u will get some idea.

what is the function of a inductor

A inductor can be use in a DC-DC converter.

best regards

huji said:
Hi,
Can anybody tell me what is the function of an inductor and when and how do we used it in circuit. In dc analysis what is the inductive reactance ( XL) or resistance of a inductor. Hope you can explain from ac and dc side of view.Thanks

what does an inductor do?

Hello;
A kind of inductor that is used in RF circuits is RF choke. In RF circuits, conductor traces on the PCB are used for implementation of inductors, for example I can refer to spiral inductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.