Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constructing earth ground for telecommunication equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

max232

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help (earth)

Hi ALL ,

I have a big problem , I need information and documentation about the construction of a very good earth ground for equipment telecommunication.

Thank you

Re: Help (earth)

The safety laws in your country will specify the construction of the ground system. In general these are for diverting lightning strike currents to the earth and away from the cabling to the electronic equipment and people.

One set of regulations requires a bare wire be buried in the earth around the periphery of the building. Other regulations specify the length and diameter of a rod that is driven perpendicularly into the earth.

I must have a resistance lower than 1Ω, have you any sites or doc which explain the differants methods,

Regards

I do not know of any sites, just books with the information. Generally, the connection to the earth will be most of the resistance. Putting the rods in parallel will reduce the resistance.

The general method of measurement is to connect two groups of rods together to form two earth systems. Use an AC method of measuring the resistance between them. Then when they are in parallel the resistance is 1/4 of the measured value.

The soil conditions will change with the weather. You may have to irrigate the system once per day to keep the soil moist. You may have to put salt on the earth surface around the rods and the irrigation water will dissolve it and it will go down to improve the conductance of the soil.

The resistance is dominated by the close area around each rod since you have approximately a two dimensional current flow from a point problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.