Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

E-field emission VS. H-field emission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittware

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
e-field vs h-field

Hello experts,
When I read the books about EMC, I often come cross two buzz words, they are "E-field emission" and "H-field emission". I am wondering what they are meant for. Why does E-field emission focus on 30MHz-40GHz, while H-field emission is only interested in 9KHz-30MHz range? How to measure them respectively?
Thanks for your explanation.
Best regards,
bittware

e field and h field

An electromagnetic wave consists of two components; E, H physically at right angles to each other, and at right angle to the direction of propogation:
. E Field is the electrical component
. H Field is the magnetic component.
The relative importance of the E, H fields depends on the impedance of the receptor (victim).
If the impedance is high, the electric filed will induce a large voltage.
If the impedance is low, the magnetic field will induce a large current.
At high frequencies, the inductive reactance of the victime will likely be high, and therefore the E field will likely have more influence. It is difficult to generalize, because there are other influences, such as resonances that must be dealt with.

bittware

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.