Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make bomb detectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anun

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bomb detectors

does anybody have an idea to make a bomb detector... bombs are more dense than other substances and mostlikely with no or less metal components... well, can anybody give me an idea for detecting unusually dense substances...

more power

bomb detectors

try asking a bomb disposal team or cidg.
i know they have those kind of stuffs...

anun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: bomb detectors

Hi, very interesting question.....

Although, some might be cautious asking such a question, given the whole paranoia surrounding the subject.

Anyway, I'm really clueless as to current methods used. I would look into some form of resonance. Since all matter has a particular resonant frequency, depending on its chemical/atomic structure. Obviously atomic structures require the use of much greater frequency (possibly light). After all, we know that water absorbs a great deal of microwave energy, between 2.4 and 2.5GHz, (I think this is the bond between molecules not atoms!) so you know how much you're transmitting, power wise, you could just have a detector and a little bit of maths to work out if there is significant 'path loss'. I know it sounds a bit off the wall, but it makes sense to me.

I don't think theres much chance of such a device inadvertantly detonating any suspect objects, since the power you would use would be very low. Maybe some sort of ultra wide and burst of EM radiation, and the a wide band detector, with a spectrometer to detect the chemical composition of something by proxy.

Sorry, I'm just spitting out random idea's here..... maybe a form of MRI? Or perhaps the best approch maybe to have several forms of detectors that exist, such as a metal detector...IR....inductance measurer (magnetic pulse, then detect echos from wire loops etc...) and then collect all the data from these and use a computer to analyze it. You could ask the authorities for a real bomb to calibrate it.

Anyway, I'm done. Sorry if this is of no use to you whatsoever, but idea's are idea's. And if nothing currently exists for such a purpose, invent it. Worked for Edison.

BuriedCode.

anun

try to look at the military applications of the wireless sensors like ZigBee .. I have also heard that Smart Dust might have some applications on things like this .. it also works as a bio-weapon sensors ..

anun

bomb detectors

hope this site will help give you an idea on your bomb detector...

**broken link removed**

anun

Many years ago they used a microwave absorption method to look for a spectral line of nitrogen.

A ridiculous method would be to burn the building down and see if it sets the bomb off.

anun

The ZigBee standard is available online for free .. ZigBee has an application in the wireless sensing .. yet, it doesn't work like this spontaneousely .. there has to be some applications built on .. anyhow .. try first to read about wireless sensors ..
The good thing is that ZigBee is very simple to implement .. and there are couple of available kits in the market .. u get one, build ur own application above , enjoy ur wireless sensor :)

About SmartDust, it's more into discrete .. here is a good link about it :
**broken link removed**
and this is a link to small funny movie about it :
https://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~pister/SmartDust/DustDelivAnim.avi

Enjoy

anun

I think that ideal bomb detector is a specially trained bomb search dog :D

anun

bomb detectors

May be you can try scintilation methods.

anun

I was just wondering. Are you building bomb detector or want to understand the mechanism to exploit its weaknesses? Why would a private citizen want to know how to make a bomb detector?

rakko,

Why would a private citizen want to know how to make a bomb detector?

Exactly my concern. This also goes for stunguns, guns, and weapons in general. But there is much paranoia about such issues nowdays. To the point where chemistry and physics curriculum are changed, to exclude any information that could lead to knowledge of this type. And in lower-level education, teaching idea's that are actually incorrect!

There is general interest of course. I myself am very curious about how things work, regardless of their application. I know, and could probably build a fair few 'nasty' devices, but in these times, I think the paranoia has gone way to far.

In order for someone to 'commit' a terrible act, with knowledge of bombs, electrical weapons etc.. they must have a 'will' and a 'way'. For some reason, many governments (especially the US government) seem to assume that everyone wants to commit a crime, and therefore, must take away the 'way'. But anyone can find out how to build a bomb, few people have a reason/will to do it though. I think its about time people addressed these 'reasons' rather than the easy option. (Although, certain things don't need to be known to the public).

Thats the 'moral' issues out of the way....what about idea's for detecting explosive materials? If such a device is built, and can be exploited, then IMO its not a very good design. Nothing is water-tight, but it seems often engineers are pressured into coming up with something cheap, easy, and quick to market, forced to make comprimises along the way. Due to the consequences of a bomb-detector failing to 'detect', cost should not be an issue. I would still go with a wide-band EM emmiter, and detector array. Theoretically, it should be able to pick up certain chemical structures, and possibly a high concentration of oxygen. Possibly some sort of magnetic resonance scanning (not imaging). And of course, a sniffer-dog should always be used.

BuriedCode

Guys, you are suspicious enough to seek for crime where profit is obviously visible.

Earth is overpopulated with scared people and that is good opportunity to sale anything especialy bomb detector served with portion of other garbage including politics.
Even bomb. What is bad if consumers wants to use it for antiterror and protective use, sush as to explode neighbor's dog willing to bark during best slip times? And it is completely undestandable why your neighbor is wiling to buy bomb detector. But still there is no offer for ballistic rockets in closest Wallmart. I think, it will be available in near future .

.. and it becomes dangeros to live on this planet , even birds tend to kill you after you kill them (flu - what is a good revenge).

Regarding matter - if you can afford to buy mass spectrometer - that will be best way to protect from crazy terrorist's DIY bombs. Just keep in mind - they (terrorists) can use conventional swords. but that is subject of sword detection topic, where you should expect same kind of reasoning to find a terrorism where it is not (i hope). They are not firsts ...

Added after 3 minutes:

flatulent said:
A ridiculous method would be to burn the building down and see if it sets the bomb off.

flatulent, some kind of explosives wont explode if you will set them to fire - just will be burned - they need detonation to explode.

P.S. I am not terrorist .

artem,

Good points there. I was refering to use in airports though....no doubt someone will sell a product for thousands of $$ that claims it can 'make you safer', but the world is full of them. And people buy them, out of fear perpetuated through the media. But, if it makes them feel safer, then it does its job. And if I was vile enough to make a mock product, and prey on the fearful ignorant masses to make money, I would have done it by now. (does this sound like flaming? hope it doesn't...). Personally, I can see no use for one.

For me, this problem was just a problem to be solved. He wanted to detect a bomb, I gave some idea's. I'm not getting into a commercial product, thats not what enigneers do. Engineers design/build things, companies sell them.

But still there is no offer for ballistic rockets in closest Wallmart. I think, it will be available in near future .

I wouldn't know :) Here in the UK, weapons of most types are banned. There is no need.

It's interesting you mentioned 'terrorists'. Using the word 'they'. - Another media thing. It seems the world needs a common enemy...whether they pose a real threat or not. Me? I like electronics :D Turn the news off and build an mp3 player I say!

BuriedCode.

Ps. Admin, sorry if this seems off-topic...feel free to do what you will with this post.

the best bomb detector is a dog or a pig

14N nuclear quadrupole resonance

I have been slighly involved in detecting bomb materials using the little known technique of nuclear quadrupole resonance. Not only can it detect the bomb but it can tell what type of explosive is present. Here is a link to an over-optomistic plug for the technique.

**broken link removed**

bomb detectors why???

I have a Dog ,my own bomb detector.
very chip.

what about X-ray machine? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor