Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a simple DAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_TSU

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple dac

Hi folks!
I need to build a simple non-expensive (but precise enough) 11...12 bit serial (or parallel) DAC.
The input code sequence should be driven by microPC.
Who can advise some ready solution or may be a DAC chip to start the design with?

Hi,

As alvarorahul said, buy one ready made, dirty cheap, and for 11-12 bits there are plenty, for anything above 8 bits you're probably looking at serial input, but there are some parallel about.

Another option (reason for my post), which is probably a waste of time considering the price of DAC chips nowdays, you could build your own, using a R2R ladder. For parallel input, all you will need is a 'Latch' for your desired resolution. You show the latch your data, then strobe it onto the resistor ladder. And the output of the resistor ladder should have an opamp to sort out levels, and output impedence. A serial version is pretty much the same, but instead of a latch, you'll need a shift-register, serial in parallel out. I've used these a number of times when prototyping, the quality really depends on your application, I wouldn't expect crystal clear audio out of it.

Dunno what you mean by 'microPC', and I don't know if its for audio, speech bleeping etc.. but hey, it might be a good exercise in circuit design.

Just so that you know, I'm not really a pro, just an electronics tinkerer, I'm just adding idea's here.

BuriedCode

Alex_TSU

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back