Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade Transistor??? Any example???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinatra

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
homemade transistor

Hello all.
Does anyone know a simple method that could allow anyone to built a transistor at home?

Is there any way to make yourself your own transistor at home with material you can easily find???

S.

homemade diode

dear,dont try it is a forbidden technology for some countries.

home made transistor

Who told you this could be forbiden anywhere in this world???
:')

This is one of the greatest inventions of the century!

And this invention is for all of us. Noone could ever forbid it!!!! People can try to hide the information. And our obligation is to find it and make it open to everybody......

Unfortunatly it seems that the transistor can exist and work in small dimensions and using very pure semiconductor cristals. This could be a problem if one wants to make it at home. But I don't know if it would be true or just one more superstition in the field....

In this link there is some crude description of a home made transistor but using a cristal from a diode.....
**broken link removed**

I would be glad to have a copy of the book referenced in that page:
"Practical Transistors & transistor circuits" by J.S.Kendall"

It seems that it would also be possible to make a transistor at home using a galena (lead sulfide, PbS) as described in:
http://amasci.com/amateur/transis.html

But I didn't find any other hint about it.....

Also, I didn't find anything related to the application of other semiconductors like copper oxide, copper sulfide (as proposed by the inventor of the first transistor Lilienfeld in 1928, first pattent issued according to last link), selenium, or any other material that could make it possible the fabrication of a transistor at home but for example would not be a viable method for industrial fabrication, etc, etc...

Other example, plastic transistors (polymers):
**broken link removed**

It also seems easy to make a tunnel diode at home as in the following link:
**broken link removed**
This is a useful homemade amplifying device. Using this device Oleg Losev could already make the first solid-state radio receivers in 1922 (as in the introduction of the book from Thomas Lee, "The design of CMOS radio frequency integrated circuits",pg. 20)

And that is what made me wonder if there is no method to make a better device, I say, a Transistor, at home.....

Anyone has more ideas????
There should be a way to make it, common!!!!

Cheers.
S.

homemade semiconductor

Hi,
It's a godd question. Home made transistor is complicated. You need high vacuum system, what is expensive.
I've tried with home made diode for making simplest radio receiver on it. It worked well. Add some sulfur into molten lead, it will create PbS, the PbS is a semiconductor (not used in industrial practice). The piece of PbS created is a "diode", if you tight it with metal clamp, connected with a conductive wire- this will be one pol of the "diode". Use a neddle connected with another wire-this is the another pol of the diode. Point the end needle to different place of the PbS piece, you can see (with VOM, Oscilloscope etc.) that it work like a small diode.
Try it. Quite cool experiment!

Be carefull, lead and sulfur are both toxic. Use small quantity only.

homemade transistors

I think you should make a diode first.

acicular didode( i think it's the name, the first semiconductor diodes)

Some years ago, I saw somebody who made that at home. But this device will be very unuseful, at all.
You can buy 1000times better devices half an euros.

Where does the transistor making forbidden?

homemade integrated circuit

You kidding me?

Just because it's unuseful doesn't mean it's not cool. Sure, it'll take a lot of time and effort, but that doesn't make it less interesting.

how to make a homemade transistor

I also agree with "drabos". You should try to make diode at first trial. because it's very simple.

But I think if you need good characteristic transitor you have to build clear room at your home.

homemade transistor radio

I am a little surprised that it would be considered "difficult" to make a transistor. I used to make them for a living, and design the manufacturing process for the specific characteristics desired. A bipolar transistor is a device made up of material with three densities of doping of the semiconductor material. From a production point of view, doping in exact amounts are important to determine the exact voltage the transistor turns on or off. A crude transistor can be made by dipping a flat crystal into liquid doped semiconductor so that a thin film hardens which matches the underlying crystal, then changing the dope concentration before the next dip. This process is called "liquid phase epitaxy", and is used to make transistors, diodes, LEDs, semiconductor lasers, and resistors using semiconducting materials made from two or three elements, such as Gallium Arsenide(GaAs), or Gallium-Aluminum-Arsenide(GaAlAs).

homemade integrated circuits

you wouldn't believe how useful a rock can be...

transistor example

DrDR, I wonder if you could expand on this just a bit more. How thin do the layers need to be? How large should the crystal be, and what sort of materials might this be done with?

Thanks!

homemade diodes

This is the most crazy idea I saw, so far.
Very Good.

homemade semiconductors

let's dig out the old documents to find how the old guys is doing on Transistor and ICs. I remember some company sell small IC processing equipment for home lab. just like a big oven. (25 years ago in silicon valley)
you need to do every step manually. and good for IC process developments.
so it is not that difficult for home made Transistor

hommade transistor

where did you get the raw material? high purified silicon also made at home from sands? That would require very high temp, and it's dangerous.

homebrew tunel diode

This is not feasable to do it at home. You must fuse sand at high temperature to obtain the silicium !

make home transistor

Here's a good overview of how the transistor was developed.

You could probably make a point contact transistor at home without too much trouble, but junction transistors would require a pretty big investment in equipment.

Early transistors were made by hand, so if you really wanted to you could probably buy some germanium, learn to make large crystals with it, and build a point-contact transistor. If you wanted to get really into it, you might be able to add the proper doping agents to actually build a layered transistor like some of the original designs, but I'm guessing that requires some fairly precise techniques to get a usable product.

build a transistor at home

Connect two diode in a manner that

1. Anode of the both diodes are connected.
2. One cathode can be emitter and second cathode can be the collector.
3. Junction of two anodes is your base.

TRY IT...

oleg losev

Faizan Jawaid said:
Connect two diode in a manner that

1. Anode of the both diodes are connected.
2. One cathode can be emitter and second cathode can be the collector.
3. Junction of two anodes is your base.

TRY IT...

...and that's what i call Bullsh.t!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back