Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PIC18f and RealTerm UART problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemalkemal

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am using PIC18f24K22, mpasm, real term and a 3rd party development board.
My problem is; i can send data via uart-tx but i couldn't receive it from the opponent side. My code is just an infinite loop (for debug) that is sending some binary data continously. Interesting thing is i can see my transmitted signal on the oscilloscope screen but i couldn't get it from the realterm window. Accidentally I found a solution to this. First i start the code, start to send data and see it on the oscilloscpe.Then in the opposite direction, i just send a dummy data from realterm to pic (which is still running and doesn't have any receive code).Bingo. the data starts to flow on realterm window.
I suspected if realterm configuration is faulty. Instead of realterm i tried to send some configuration data to microchips data logger app which communicates to pic via usart module. App didn't receive conf data. But then i tried the same thing; first send a dummy data via the app app to pic (again although there isn't any receive code in the pic). Only after this, app began to receive.
So i came to this ; in order to send data with pic first i should receive sthg. But unfortunately at my real project i couldn't control the opponent side.
Is there anything you can suggest?

MY MAIN CODE===>
Code:
LIST P=18F24K22, F=INHX32 ;directive to define processor and file format
	INCLUDE <P18F24K22.INC>	 ;processor specific variable definitions
UDATA_ACS
data_h1		RES 1

EXTERN  P18_usart,P18_usart1_conf,P18_usart1_send
GLOBAL  data_h1

RESET_VECTOR	CODE	0x0000
		goto	Main		
CODE
Main:    
CALL	P18_usart1_conf 
DELAY_1MS
START1
MOVLW	0xFF
MOVWF	data_h1
CALL	P18_usart1_send
BRA	START1
END
MY USART CONF CODE===>
Code:
LIST	p=18f24K22
    #INCLUDE	<p18f24K22.inc>

GLOBAL	P18_usart,P18_usart1_conf
    GLOBAL	P18_usart1_send
    EXTERN	data_h1

CODE
P18_usart
P18_usart1_conf:
MOVLW   B'00100100'
    MOVWF   TXSTA1
    MOVLW   B'10010000'
    MOVWF   RCSTA1
    MOVLW   .129            ;fosc=20 MHz ---> baud rate 9.6k
MOVWF   SPBRG1;
    BSF     TRISC,TX	;C6
    BSF	    TRISC,RX	;C7
    RETURN;

P18_usart1_send:
START_SEND1
    MOVF	data_h1,W
S1
    BTFSS	PIR1,TX1IF           ;Kodun bu parçasi BOOK PIC18f kitabindan alinmadir
    BRA 	S1
    MOVWF	TXREG1
    RETURN

This is strange. I can't see anything wrong in the code. Are you sure you are connecting the interface correctly, with level converters as necessary?
If that isn't the problem, try reading the USART receive register twice after the initialization, it will clear any errors and pending interrupts.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, level converter idea solved my problem. I changed USB-serial port converter. But it is interesting what i found out.
This is the brown converter that i used in the unsuccessful trials.(I paid lots of money to this)
**broken link removed**
This is the negative signal level when i connect brown converter to dev.board (board is not energised).
BrownOne_1.jpg
This is the normal signal level when i start the board and run the code. I cant receive the data unless i kick the pic with a dummy data.
BrownOne_2.jpg

And now the working one is coming (the cheaper also:)
Green.jpg
This is the 0 volts signal level when i connect green converter to dev.board (board is not energised).
GreenOne_2.jpg
This is the normal signal level when i start the board and run the code. I receive data immediately after power up.
GreenOne_1.jpg

As you can see the only difference is the signal level at the beginning even the board is not energised.

Status
Not open for further replies.