Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does "limiting element voltage" mean for a 1206 resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
The RCV1206 series resistors are 1206 size resistors with 500V “Limiting element voltage”.
What does “Limiting element voltage” mean?
Resistors are usually rated for voltage in terms of “maximum working voltage” and “maximum overload voltage”. (eg as with the RMCP series resistors)

Does “Limiting element voltage” equate to “maximum overload voltage”? or “maximum working voltage”?

RMCP series resistors:-
https://www.seielect.com/Catalog/SEI-RMCF_RMCP.pdf

RCV1206 series resistors:-
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/...MIuJKv2sXw1wIVRrcbCh19bQMeEAAYASAAEgKaW_D_BwE

Hi
In the datasheet I can see "Limiting element voltage Umax. ACrms/DC", so I guess it's the maximum voltage the resistance can take.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I'm not sure. My assumption:
Max working voltage is limited by the power dissipation.
V_w = sqrt(P x R)
This is for DC current or voltage. But if it is pulsed you may increase voltage..but not infinitly.
Additionaly imagine a very high ohmic resitance..maybe 10M..and a max P of 0.25W...this gives about 1600V ..

But there will be some voltage where a spark jumps from one contact to the other...independent of resistance value.
For sure this depends on age, dirt, humidity, flux residuals...
But I assume this is the "limiting voltage"..

Klaus

Reactions: treez

T

If you google " limiting element voltage definition" it states that it also known as maximum working voltage.

Reactions: treez and FvM

FvM

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back