Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting gradual dust build up using an optical emitter and detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary_feesher

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a machine that has a slide-in screen meant to collect dust, but I do not have visible access to that screen unless I pull it out.

I am looking to develop a small embedded system that can detect and notify the user when the screen is starting to be covered, or completely blocked with the dust.

I was thinking about using an optical emitter and detector combination which detected the amount of light that would be transmitted through the screen. And upon a certain threshold of light not meeting the detector, then I would like some notification (could just be an LED) to light up.

Can anyone recommend a method for this type of threshold detection, where it isn't just a binary output of proximity or not; but rather, some more continuous value which, once a threshold is hit, notifies me when the screen is completely covered?

You don't say how big a screen, or how homogeneous the dust layer is-could dust gather more in one area than another? Another thing to consider: your sensor/emitter will ALSO collect dust. Do they collect dust faster than the screen, or perhaps more sensitive?

Regardless, there are certainly analog output sensors available, from something cheap like a photo-transistor, to expensive (hundreds of dollars) modules. You need to figure out how sensitive and accurate this needs to be; what your environment is, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back