Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solution for Right half plane Zero problem using Digital Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShubhamSharma

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am currently trying to find a solution for right half plane zero problem which occurs in most of the power supplies. For the same, I have read a few journals and found that the basic solution for the right half plane zero problem is to limit the current using passive components in different configurations. Currently, analog switching is being provided in most of the power supplies. However, I am looking for a solution which uses digital switching as a fundamental idea. Can anyone suggest any solution for the right half plane zero problem using digital switching?

What do you mean by "analog" vs "digital" switching?

The RHPZ is inherent to the structure of boost and buckboost derived circuits (so long as they are operating in CCM). The RHPZ frequency can be changed to some extent, but not without compromising something else.

I think Power Integrations uses continuous current flyback supplies which contain the RHP Zero. I believe they roll off the gain early or some other mechanism to limit the slew rate of the PWM. In other words the controller takes quite a bit of time to change from one duty cycle to another. This of course results in poor performance to large swings in load or input voltage. It does produce a stable output though. Same rules should apply weather using an analog or digital controller.

Currently we are working on removing the RHPZ problem in Switched mode power supply (SMPS) without concerning about other issues. Could you please provide us any solution that can be helpful to us?

You're still not being clear on what your objective is. If your objective is to use novel control schemes to mitigate the RHPZ in standard topologies (boost), then I think you'll find it impossible.

Let me be clear: A simple boost circuit has a RHPZ at a frequency given by various circuit parameters (inductance, load resistance, etc) and its bias point (Vin, duty cycle, etc). No controller can move or remove the RHPZ so long as those parameters don't change. I've seen a few white papers claim that it is possible using clever tricks (constant on/off time modulation), but it's simply not true. I suggest you derive the state space averaged model of the boost converter to verify it yourself. Look up old papers by Middlebrook and Cuk on the topic.

The only valid approach to "fixing" the RHPZ is to fundamentally alter the converter circuit itself. For example, adding a second converter circuit in parallel with the boost which is designed for lower power but much faster response. A well-designed controller could use both of them to achieve a much better response than the boost alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.