Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

altium-designer-beginner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

arr_baobao

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
altium designer beginner question

Hi all,

I'm new to altium.
I always saw those processor IC with hundreds of pinouts and they are construct in different schematic sheets under the same project.
For example i have a processor IC.
and i wan different module(memory,RF transceiver,power management unit,usb..bla bla bla) that interface with the processor to the construction in different sheet.
how do i do that?

Re: altium designer beginner question

Hi arr_baobao,

These is an option called Off-sheet connector in altium
Off-sheet connector is nothing but the net-label but it connects even a similar representation in another sheet whereas a normal net-label can connect only nets within the particular sheet.

For example :

If you have a net called Tx.
If you name another net with the same name as Tx, both nets will be connected, but this can effect only when both nets are in the same sheet.
So just connect an Off-sheet connector to both nets (in different sheets) and give same naming. Now both of your nets will be connected.

You can find the Off-sheet connector tool button available on the top. It will be like a double greater than symbol ( >> )

All the best !!!

Hi arr_baobao,

These is an option called Off-sheet connector in altium
Off-sheet connector is nothing but the net-label but it connects even a similar representation in another sheet whereas a normal net-label can connect only nets within the particular sheet.

For example :

If you have a net called Tx.
If you name another net with the same name as Tx, both nets will be connected, but this can effect only when both nets are in the same sheet.
So just connect an Off-sheet connector to both nets (in different sheets) and give same naming. Now both of your nets will be connected.

You can find the Off-sheet connector tool button available on the top. It will be like a double greater than symbol ( >> )

All the best !!!

Hi bala,

thanks for the reply. im aware of this.
what im asking for are more to the IC component itself that have huge number of pinouts that cant be construct on one single schematic sheet.
like i have this IC name as u1.
then i have u1A ( part of the ic) in sheet number 1 for memory interface.
then u1B(part if ic (pinout) in sheet number 2 for tranceiver ciruit interface with the u1.
ofcoz i can hav u1 with all pinout on sheet 1 and used Off-sheet connector to connect them in different sheet of the design.
but i do see design they draw partial of the u1 ic (u1A,u1B...) in different sheet without using the off-sheet connector.
how do i do that.
hope u understand my question.

Last edited:

Hi,

Probably I had misunderstood previously,

Two things you have to do.

* Increase the sheet size using custom style
* Design your own schematic symbol for your processor with all pin-outs in the same block

You will not have any restrictions in pin count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back