Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging from USB wall adapters, how to control current & not harm the wall adapter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorEE

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Charging from USB wall adapters, how to control current & not harm the wall adapter ?

Hello
I have a battery of 2 Li-Ion cells = 7.4v
To charge the battery i use the MP26123 IC charger
I want to charge it from USB wall adapter
For that i connected a booster that output 10v to MP26123 input
The issue is how to control the switching current from the wall adapter
If i set the battery charging current to 1A - it means the booster will draw approx. 2.35A (Eff 85%)
But if someone will connect it to 1A wall charger it will not work (maybe the charger will be damaged)
Any ideas?

Thanks IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:

Re: Charging from USB wall adapters, how to control current & not harm the wall adapt

Idea: use the appropriate size wall adapter. What else could you possibly do? You probably won't damage an undersized adapter, they (should) have current/over temp limiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Idea: use the appropriate size wall adapter. What else could you possibly do? You probably won't damage an undersized adapter, they (should) have current/over temp limiting.

Re: Charging from USB wall adapters, how to control current & not harm the wall adapt

I do not want to limit the customer to charge from 2A or 3A wall charger....
I want to be able to charge wise (dependng on the user charger capabilities)

Hi,

then you need to read out the wall adapter capabilities.
This can be determined by reading out the D+ and D- voltages coming from the wall adapter.

Search the internet for "USB DCD ID"

Klaus

Hi Klaus

Do you mean to USB battery charging sepcification ? DCP, CDP, SDP ?
Are there dedicated Li Ion 2cell chargers with USB detection capability ?

Hi,

Sorry I meant "Search the internet for "USB DCP ID""
DCP = dedicated charging port...
... and this leads to battery charging
... and how wall adapter shows it´s current capabilities.

You are free to use other search phrases like "USB battery charging". Luck you - there are internet search engines. I remember times where there was no internet at all.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.