Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why arduino and pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizar_Ib

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make some small projects.
Why arduino is the most common microcontroller? Why not pic? Is arduino is easier for programming?

Arduino is NOT a microcontroler, it is just an IDE which translate some other language into its own Arduino C++like syntax, a kind of "front-end" interface. When compiling a sketch in -Verbose mode, you can see the log of other compiler activelly doing its jobs in background. You can have Arduino support for many microcontroller cores, being PIC just one of the various options available.

ok,
sho when I want to make my own PCB, can still I use the arduino software develop environment?

Answering with another question: Why do you think this would not be possible? If you make an exact copy of the circuit of the board in question, you can use the IDE transparently, indicating the target board to upload the sketch with the same name as the original board.

Answering with another question: Why do you think this would not be possible?

You may have to do everything from the grounds up because the systems are too different and whereas it may end up as another interesting project, the interest may be low because the PICs are so diverse ...

(Or am I missing something here?)

C level programming IDEs are also available for PICs and arduino is just more than an IDE.

Last edited:
C level programming IDEs are also available for PICs and arduino is just more than an IDE.
I know how to create my PCB based on PIC and I do my regular C program and burn it to the PIC but it is not easy like what I see people make on their arduino, they have easy C language, how can I make the same on my own project based on PIC?

Hi,

it already has been answered in post#4.
I wonder why you ask again...

Klaus

Hi,

it already has been answered in post#4.
I wonder why you ask again...

Klaus

sorry but it wasn't clear for me that the arduino IDE is easier for programming because it has it's own functions built there.

Do you use the MPLABx IDE and the XC8/16 compiler which are free from Microchip? They let you program in C and download the code to the PIC MCU.
The Arduino environment requires a bootloader in the MCU which also gets in the way of debugging - it might be a little easier to program an Arduino device (simple USB connection in many cases) than a Microchip MCU (which typically require a PicKit3 or similar) but it all depends on what you are trying to do.
If you want to access the peripherals on a microcontroller (e.g. PWM, timers, SPI etc.) then there are ways within the Arduino environment but it is much easier (in my opinion) to access them directly from your own code.
"Horses for courses".
Susan

Do you use the MPLABx IDE and the XC8/16 compiler which are free from Microchip?
Yes, I used Mplab and Picket 2 to program my PIC.

The Arduino environment requires a bootloader in the MCU
Now I want to design my PCB based on MCU which support the arduino IDE, so you say it is a bootloader in the MCU, so which type of MCU's? and how can I ensure that the boot loader is there before I make my PCB?

The Arduino environment requires a bootloader in the MCU

I would say that this was the initial approach, however more recently we have seen cases of microcontrollers which can have the firmware downloaded directly from the IDE with no strict need to have a bootloader, since there is option of the download tool already integrated in the Arduino so that it records the firmware in such a way that you cannot distinguish whether there were a bootload interface acting in background or not. Anyway this was an exception and I agree with the above Susan's statement about the bootloader as being the standard interface for recording codes in Arduino IDE.

Both PIC and Arduino have their advantages, people chose the Arduino if they want to program in a high level language and chose PIC if they need/want to program in assembler (although you can program in a high level language if you want to), more add on modules are available for the Arduino so they may suit people with limited electronics skills. PICs are cheaper with many more variates/ options which is important if you are going into mass production. Take your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back