Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to send 8bit digital data serially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I send 8bit digital data serially to other circuit? I have a ADC (ADC0808) from where I'm getting 8bit data. Now how can I send this data serially through one pin? Like encoder.

- - - Updated - - -

Sample frequency: 10KHz , Can I use any microcontroller like this: Reading a port (8bit) then send it through UART....>> <<..... received by another microcontroller's UART then write it to PORT. Will it work?

Hi,

Sample frequency: 10KHz , Can I use any microcontroller like this: Reading a port (8bit) then send it through UART....>> <<..... received by another microcontroller's UART then write it to PORT. Will it work?

--> This is the usual way.

There are also other interfaces like SPI, I2C... but since they are synchronous interfaces they need more than one wire (plus GND)

BTW: ADC0808 is mature, any microcontroller has better ADC inside.

Klaus

74LS165 and 74LS164 these are the two ICs are the best for this operation. Serial to parallel and parallel to serial shift register. Thanks anyway.

Hi,

Why now going the hard way?
Before you talked about microcontroller. It´s the easiest way. Even a PLD is much easier than glue logic.

You need to transmit: START + 8bits + STOP = 10 bits.
* you need a counter for this 10 bits,
* you need a baud rate generator
* you need a sample rate generator
* you need extra logic for: wait_for_conversion_complete
* and so on..

...if you had drawn a simple sketch / schematic you´d see all this.

Start with specifications, then draw a sketch, then a more detailed schematic.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.