Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 alternate Circuit and MAX232 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MAX232 is a very good and matured IC. I support it. But is it possible to use any alternation circuit like this in the place of MAX232? Will it be wise to use in a product which is running 24X7 for years?

Circuit:
SimpleRS232.jpg
This one I found in google while searching for alternation of MAX232.

Another question, as there are two pair of Rx & Tx in MAX232, is it possible to use both of them to communicate between 2 set of device pairs? I mean MCU to PC one set and another set is something like that. Will it harm MAX232?

Also, if optocoupler is used will it be safe or a good choice for a 24X7 running device? I found some UPS use only optocoupler to communicate between PC and UPS. Is it safe and reliable?

Again, I have no complain about MAX232, that IC is ok. But is there any good alternative solution for MAX232?

Hi,

A simple internet search gives a lot of MAX232 replacement ICs.
I must assume you didn´t do the search on your own.

About the shown circuit: Did you read RS232 voltage level specifications? And other RS232 specifications.
I doubt that your circuit can fulfill all the requirements.

Optocoupler: They are good if you need galvanic isolation.
On the other side their CTR degrade with time. I had a lot of trouble with optocouplers in industrial equippment running 24/7 (only with one type of optocoupler).
Don´t drive them near lowest specified current.

Klaus

I have no complain about MAX232, that IC is ok. But is there any good alternative solution for MAX232?

The MAX232 is somewhat outdated, the MAX233 fixes some issues on its original version.

Status
Not open for further replies.