Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistors for Class-E amplification to 30MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
2N7000 and BS170 are good examples of transistors that are used on class-E amplifiers to 14MHz or so. They can output about 2W or so in class-E operation.
I want to find transistors in TO-92 preferred (~2w of output power is ok), for class-E amplification to 30MHz.

Can you suggest any?
Also any class-E amplifiers schematics to 30MHz?

Why Class-E ?? Is the system battery powered ??
Class-E PAs are used with "Constant Amplitude" signals, if you intend to use with AM, it won't be used.

I've made low power class E amps at >100MHz using small devices from Infineon's optimos series, you might look there. For example BSP296NH6327XTSA1, BSS316NH6327XTSA1, etc.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Why Class-E ?? Is the system battery powered ??
Class-E PAs are used with "Constant Amplitude" signals, if you intend to use with AM, it won't be used.

Yes battery powered. I like that the amps are kept cool even with the TO-92 package, without heatsink. It will be used for on off keying (CW)

- - - Updated - - -

I've made low power class E amps at >100MHz using small devices from Infineon's optimos series, you might look there. For example BSP296NH6327XTSA1, BSS316NH6327XTSA1, etc.

Great info thanks!
What kind of output power did you achieve with these?
Can you give any information of where to start with designing class-e amplifiers using these devices?

I was able to get 1W out of a BSD316SN L6327 at 120MHz. At 30MHz with a higher power device, getting up to 5V should not be difficult. A good gate driver will be needed though.

neazoi

neazoi

2N7000 can be found in TO-92, or parallel two SOT-23.

Hams using **broken link removed** power MOSFET (TO-220) for QRP, and CB radio using higher power IRF520 at 27MHz.
The part is $1 and many articles.

Paul Harden NA5N has a very good article:
Pt. 1 **broken link removed**
Pt. 2 **broken link removed**

https://norcalqrp.org/files/Class_E_Amplifiers.pdf
https://www.crarc.ampr.org/uploads/Main/Archives/July Class-E Transmitters.pdf

Thanks a lot, I am aware of these documents. Page 4 of the last one contain some devices I will check them out

- - - Updated - - -

IRF510 is fine, the only issue is its maximum frequency of about 18MHz.
Recently I got from eBay few cheap Mitsubishi RD01MUS2 (1W) and RD02LUS2 (2W) which works fine from HF to UHF frequencies. They are low voltage devices.

https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/...highfrequency/siliconrf/discrete/rd01mus2.pdf
https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/...highfrequency/siliconrf/discrete/rd02lus2.pdf

Very interesting! 30mW in for 1w out for the first one. Is it class-A or it assumes class-E? Can it really be done in such low drain voltage?

The 1W and 2W is the linear output power (P1dB) of the Mitsubishi transistors. They are manufactured to work on Class-A or Class-AB (with low drain voltage, for handheld devices).
For sure they could work in any of the switching classes for better efficiency.
Generally RF power MOSFETs have much higher gain than BJT counterparts, so careful stability design is required.

Have you considered CATV amplifiers? With three pins, high gain and a response from almost DC to GHz they make a very simple power amplifier.
Search 'macom' for their web site.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back