Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium battery and solar panel with linear charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxopiumxx

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!

I am working in a project that feeds from a 18650 lithium battery. Iam charging it with a MPC73831 linear charger.
but I have a lot of doubts around this because the system needs to keep the battery with a solar panel (6W), but i have read a lot of people saying that this charger wont do the job.
My doubt is if this incapability is for the variations in the voltage of the solar panel, or because the current is it self function of the light conditions.

In the first case, would be enougth to put a step up like the CE8301 after the solar panel in order to keep a constant voltage?

thanks in advance, really appreciate it.

I think it depends on the output of your solar panel. The specs for the MPC73831 say you need 3.75 — 6 volts. If you're outside that range, then you'll need to consider other options.

I think it depends on the output of your solar panel. The specs for the MPC73831 say you need 3.75 — 6 volts. If you're outside that range, then you'll need to consider other options.

iam in range. mi doubt is if the charges, as it is linear and doesnt has any capability of mppt tracking, will work fine. and what could i do to overcome the voltage and current variations .
i know that there are IC's that does exactly this, but in argentina they are quite difficult to get.

thanks.

I don't know a lot about this device, but it looks to me that as long as your input is in range then it should work. If you're in constant voltage mode you just need to insure that the input is high enough (It's in the data sheet)

Hi,

(in my eyes) MPPT makes no sense in combination with linear chargers

I even like to say: MPPT makes no sense with battery chargers at all.

MPPT makes sense if you push the solar energy into the power grid.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back