Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: What SSR and associated circuit should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice1492

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Mighty Mule driveway alarm that has both an LED and a piezo buzzer output signal. The LED signal stays on after activation and is therefore unusable for my purposes. The buzzer signal is momentary so I want to use that to activate another devise. The signal to the buzzer that I want to use varies from 1.2V - 1.9V DC at a max of 12mAmps.

The devise I want to control is the transmitter of a remote door bell. The door bell is normally activated by a small push button that closes a circuit that carries 12V DC at less than 120mAmps.

I could use a mechanical relay for this but I would like to go electronic to save space and for reliability. The question is can I use an SSR to accomplish this and if so which one would be appropriate? If any other components are needed in the circuit what would they be and what would the schematic look like.

Hi,

If I've understood it well: A normally open button when closed makes the doorbell ring at 12V, using 120mA. The buzzer only needs ~1.9V, using 12mA. The doorbell is not where the buzzer is, physically - or is it? The words "remote" and "transmitter" are confusing when applied to an SSR.

I think this may not need an SSR. Do you want a ~1.9V/12mA signal to drive a 12V/120mA signal? You could almost do that with a BJT or a MOSFET and a couple of resistors.

Why do you need a relay or an SSR? Maybe a quick block diagram would help.

You can find plenty of SSR circuits on the Internet, maybe choosing one and posting an image here alongside your block diagram would help to say if it's okay to use or not.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Please bear with me as I am new to electronics. Everything is located in 1 place in one enclosure. I am not well versed in electronics so maybe a SSR is not the correct device. In my layman's thought process a SSR is the electronic replacement for a mechanical relay but I will naturally go with your recommendation.

The trigger signal to the buzzer is my input to this device/circuit. It varies from 1.2V to 1.9V/12mA DC.

The output of this devise/circuit will replace a push button switch. The output of this device/circuit must be capable of carrying a 12V/120mA signal.

Hi,

Look for photo-mos relays.
Check if they fit your needs.

Klaus

HI Klaus,

Thanks for responding. An AQY212S seems to fit the bill except I am concerned about my variable input voltage of 1.2V to 1.9V.

I need to know if I need to use a resistor but I am getting turned around by the different terms that I am reading. Can someone explain the relationship between input voltage, LED voltage drop and LED reverse voltage. The DATA sheets only give LED reverse voltage but I need LED drop voltage to calculate resistance values. Color me confused!

Input-limiting resistance = (Voltage of the voltage source - LED voltage drop) / Current you want to input

Steve

Hi,

I am concerned about my variable input voltage of 1.2V to 1.9V.
These are very unusal values, therefore I assume these is no written specification but somehow measured values by your own.

Whether the signal is useful or not depends on your output circuit, the signal waveforms and your measurement method.
Take photos and/or give a detailed description.

Klaus

I looked up the mighty mule alarm. It has a detector that transmit to a battery operated base station. The alert indication is a chime. It didn't say it was a buzzer. Unless maybe you have a different model than the one I looked at.

Hi,

The values are measured with my voltmeter and that is the only way I have of measuring it. I do not have access to any of the sophisticated analysis equipment to gather the info you are talking about.

From what I have been told (and the research I have done) the schematics for the devices I am trying to link together are proprietary information and therefore inaccessible.

I do appreciate the time you all are giving me but I am coming to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to provide the info required to get a definitive answer and that is on me.

Steve

Hi,

I do not have access to any of the sophisticated analysis equipment to gather the info you are talking about.
I requested photos and a description... Do you call this sophisticated?

There´s nothing wrong with using a voltmeter... is it asking too much that you show us how and where you connected it, so we can get a clue about the driving circuit and the connected loads..

From what I have been told (and the research I have done) the schematics for the devices I am trying to link together are proprietary information and therefore inaccessible.
Is a pencil and a sheet of paper inaccessable, too? We just need the driving circuitry and the connected load.

You need to understand, that we dont know and we don´t see what you see...
And a textual description often is not useful. A picture often says more than hundred words.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

"I requested photos and a description... Do you call this sophisticated?"

I certainly don't mean to be uncooperative but I have no camera or cell phone so yes photos are sophisticated for me. Again a pencil and paper are of no use in this instance without a camera. I apologize for my low tech.

You may not know anyone like me but I refuse to carry a government tracking device (cell phone). I worked for the government and I know not to trust them.

"There´s nothing wrong with using a voltmeter... is it asking too much that you show us how and where you connected it, so we can get a clue about the driving circuit and the connected loads.."

You are not asking too much, I simply can't comply. As far as a description, I am trying my best. I am taking the voltage reading from the soldered connection points for the piezoelectric buzzer when the sensor sets the buzzer off. The buzzer has no markings on it so I cannot be sure of any of the specs or parameters for its operation.

You may be right that you can't help me without the information that I am unable to provide but I do appreciate the effort.

Steve

Hi,

No cellular phone, no camera? I really didn´t thought of that. And there´s nobody around that has one?

Now that you say the buzzer has no markings....it makes things more difficult. Because there are buzzers that work with DC voltage and generate the sound internally. They usually have + and - markings.
But there are passive piezo buzzers they are supplied with AC...the frequency you can hear. If this is the case, then we have less change to make it operate.

Klaus

Hi,

The only AC in the system is at the transformer at the wall socket that the transformer plugs into. All supply voltage to the unit is 12.3V DC. There is a positive and a negative side to the buzzer according to my meter.

I live far from civilization in the mountains. I like my privacy.

Steve

Hi,

Do you have a webcam on your computer, or the Paint program, then?

Hi d123,

Great idea. My MAC has a webcam but I have never used it. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it and how to post the picture on this site. This may take a while.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

HI,

I have a picture on my computer. I clicked on the "add an image" box below. That took me to elektroda where I set up an account. They said they would send a reactivation e-mail. I am waiting for the e-mail and they won't let me log in until I get it and I can't post any pictures until I log in. If I am doing something wrong someone please advise. Until then I wait.

Steve

Attachments

• Photo Booth Library.zip
    260.3 KB · Views: 82

Attached Files

Photo Booth Library.zip (260.3 KB)

Apparently you were successful to 'Manage Attachments'. Your zip file can be downloaded okay. It contains 2 photographs of a hand holding a circuit board.

Hi BradtheRad,

When I klick on the link I accidentally posted I get something different than the pictures. I guess it is internal to my computer vs an external computer. Now I need to figure out what I did to make that attachment appear. Thanks for your help. I still have not gotten the promised e-mail from electroda.

Steve

Hi Steve,

it may be simpler to use the go advanced button, then on that page click on manage attachments, and upload the images from your computer. Bonus is that the images should appear in the text box you post, easier for everyone to see and comment/suggest.

Hi,

I hope this works. Here (I hope) is the image of the buzzer and circuit board. The other image is of a drawn diagram of my proposed circuit using an AQY212S photo mos relay. Please advise me if this is doable.

Steve

Attachments

260.3 KB · Views: 85
    93.1 KB · Views: 71

Status
Not open for further replies.