Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using CST to design PIFA to work at 2.4G, getting bad result

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdullwn

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys!

These days one must start by apologizing to post a perhaps redundant question, academia churns out new amateurs each day! This is not to say that I have not looked through (and used) some of the numerous suggestions on here.

That being said, I am in the process of designing a PIFA using CST '17 to work at 2.4G, this is my design so far but I seem to be missing something as I am not getting a good result. Can't figure out the problem, although this is my first time designing a coax feed. Capture.JPG

Re: Yet another amateur PIFA designer

From the picture, it looks like your coax shield (GND) does not stop at the ground plane, and goes up to the antenna strip? That would be wrong, only the center conductor must go there.

Re: Yet another amateur PIFA designer

Thank you for the observation. I stripped down the outer layer down to ground plane as suggested (please see result). Am I not supposed to get a nice dip at 2.4GHz like I got for my microstrip patch?pifa 2.JPGplot.JPG

Re: using CST to design PIFA to work at 2.4G, getting bad result

S11 = -22dB so wideband looks wrong. Also, the shape (width) of the radiator looks unexpected. You better start from a PIFA example that is know to be correct.

The dip frequency depends on the antenna dimensions, impedance at the dip depends on distance feed to ground pin.

Re: using CST to design PIFA to work at 2.4G, getting bad result

You better start from a PIFA example that is know to be correct.

I actually am designing this based on dimensions I got off of a thesis done previously. I have seen the design formulae and how he obtained the dimensions. Both shorting plate and feed were at the edge of the substrate as I did. Do you reckon he may have done it wrong?

Thank you

If the dimensions should be correct, than keep that and search the mistake in your model. Wideband good matching (S11 < -20dB) looks wrong. Look at fields, currents, check materials for substrate and conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back