Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PNR inserts more clock buffer than needed. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

childs72

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day,

I am designing a low-speed (2MHz), low-power system. During PNR , I observe that PNR inserted ~40 clock buffers for clock tree until my design is seeing ~60% power consumption due to these clock buffers. There is only ~150 registers in the design. Quick check on PrimeTime is telling that:
1. there are multiple levels of clock tree buffers;
2. most of the clock buffer only fanout to 1-2 clk cells;
3. all buffer has max_tran margin >1ns.

I shall really appreciate if anyone can comment on:
1. Is there any way to solve this? (such as set certain constraints/settings to tell Encounter not to insert so many buffers?
2. How is max_tran limit (on clock tree) determined by Encounter at 1st place? the .sdc did not specify this.

Pls forgive me if my question & description are immature as I am not familiar with PNR tool & flow.

Thanks

The design max tran is not the clock tree max tran. You can set both independently but not via SDC files as far as I know. In new Innovus flow, the command is set_ccopt_property target_max_trans 200ps. In the old CTS flow it was a property you would set in that .tcshclk file (or whatever it was called).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back